Question Looking for a solution to an ever changing list.

Apr 2, 2019
So at my company we have a logistics fleet. The logistics manager also drives a truck and makes deliveries. He asked me today if there was a way to change his delivery list while he was on the road.

I gave him the options of using plex but he would need to be using his laptop and his mobile hotspot is limited and he would just prefer to use his phone to change his list.

I also gave them the option of creating something in google sheets and sending a link to his drivers when it got updated. But he wants to have it displayed in his office.

I also mentioned a smart board but we would be going back to using plex somehow to cast a list to it.

Right now his list is on a white board and he has to change it due to delivers becoming hotter or drivers making it back to the facility earlier than their eta.

What do you guys think? What would be the simplest cost effective solution.

Thanks!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
What exactly is plex referring to in this context?

There are lots of supply chain and logistics tools I can think of, but they wouldn't necessarily be cost effective. Also not sure on the scope of the data.

I can envision a cost effective home brew display using something like a raspberry pi hosting a web page that refreshes at regular intervals from whatever data source you might have. Would need something like a custom mobile app to have data updated from a phone. And that raspberry pi would have to face the internet in some capacity, so some sort of DNS service.

Would need some software development though.

Apr 2, 2019
Thanks for your reply.

Plex could cast a power point slide to his smart tv. And he would just create a new slide when he needed to make changes.

But that is a very good idea about using RasPi to broadcast a website. I dont know how to develop well enough to take a stab at creating the app.

The scope of the list is very simple: driver names/customer names/delivery times.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I suppose a windows client and sharepoint or office 365 would work to share an office document. Plex seems like a stretch.

But a simple website for this amount of data seems like it wouldn't be too bad to setup. Check out MVC web development. Plenty of free tutorials out there.

USAFRet

Titan
Plex casting to a "smart TV" ? No.
Proper tools for the proper use.

More info needed though:
Budget?
How many users?
Do remote users need to be able to edit or just view?
How much "development" do you want to do? How much "administration"?
etc etc etc

TRENDING THREADS