Question Looking for a special copy programm

Apr 10, 2021
Hello,
I have a recovery issue with a SATA HDD. It is not working under Windows (getting a drive letter but can't be opened).
The thing is, I can access it in my UEFI (the UEFI Update programm) it lets me open the drive and even brwose the folders. Not showing any files but I guess this is due to a file type filter only showing update files.
Does anyone know a programm to copy data from one drive to another that works on a similar basic/low level?
I have already tried various typical recovery programms like Disk Drill, EaseUs Recovery, Roadkil unstoppable copy and a few more. Also a bootable partion cloner but the hard drive was not visible.
Thanks in advance to all!

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
HDDSuperClone can (probably) clone this entire thing off to some other drive.
It's paid though, and wouldn't that clone the partition table to the new drive as well? if that's corrupted then it wouldn't work.

some boards come with an integrated cli that can be loaded if the OS isn't working, perhaps is there a way to move/copy files from one drive to another as well? or is it too basic?
(sudo?) cp -r src/C dst/D

USAFRet

Titan
It's paid though, and wouldn't that clone the partition table to the new drive as well? if that's corrupted then it wouldn't work.

some boards come with an integrated cli that can be loaded if the OS isn't working, perhaps is there a way to move/copy files from one drive to another as well? or is it too basic?
(sudo?) cp -r src/C dst/D
What is the underlying problem?
A failed drive, or corrupt data?

Apr 10, 2021
Thanks for the answers all!
It is a HDD from a friend that has his important work data on it. Of course no backup as usual...
The cause is not defrinately clear but assuming to the sounds and the stuck of most recovery programs with this is that the reader head might cause issues (external hdd that was droped on the floor).
It does not make the typical scratching noise when the head hits the layers but it makes a clicking sound that repeats. So i guess there is a mechinical issue sort sort of.
I also assume that the TOC and the file system itself has been damaged by the drop so that it is not readable in a windows environment.
My friend is considering to send the hdd to a professional recovery service but the price up to 1000$ scares him so he brought it to me to make a try. I solved several hdd crash issues in the past for several people and myself.
So it kind of challenged me to recover the data.
Another problem for this is that it is a 5TB hdd and I dont have another hdd with that size so cloning is not an option right now.
I am now trying a bootable knoppix stick with a file manager but the first try failed but i guess this was because i used an usb adapter for the hdd. I will try to direct connect it via SATA.

@carocuore
no this is not to basic, i just need to save the important data not the whole disk. There is plenty of private data like movies that don't need to be recovered.