Looking for a stroboscope

Regal

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

I have been playing with my PC's fans and have thoguht that I would
like to see them under a stroboscope so that I can see the effect
of any play in the bearings.

Where can I get a cheap strobe from? I have tried Maplins but they
seem to have only a kit. Radio Spares want over £200.

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.vendors,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Radio Shack used to sell a cheap kit for $15-20, as did edmund scientific.
Try searching on strobelight or strobe light.

rms

Regal wrote:
|| I have been playing with my PC's fans and have thoguht that I would
|| like to see them under a stroboscope so that I can see the effect
|| of any play in the bearings.
|| Where can I get a cheap strobe from? I have tried Maplins but they
|| seem to have only a kit. Radio Spares want over £200.

If you do manage to find one, Point it at the right Ear and see if you can
see it come out the left Ear.

--
Grouch

Regal wrote:
> I have been playing with my PC's fans and have thoguht that I would
> like to see them under a stroboscope so that I can see the effect
> of any play in the bearings.
>
> Where can I get a cheap strobe from? I have tried Maplins but they
> seem to have only a kit. Radio Spares want over £200.

Borrow one from your local secondary school physics department.

John.

ThePunisher

Regal wrote:
> I have been playing with my PC's fans and have thoguht that I would
> like to see them under a stroboscope so that I can see the effect
> of any play in the bearings.

And how do you plan to see the play?

--
ThePunisher

"ThePunisher" <thepunisher@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Regal wrote:
> > I have been playing with my PC's fans and have thoguht that I
would
> > like to see them under a stroboscope so that I can see the effect
> > of any play in the bearings.
> >
> And how do you plan to see the play?

Probably better with opera glasses.

In article <MPG.1ae5f0cd459cf6449898b3@news.individual.net>, Rob Morley
<nospam@ntlworld.com> writes
>In article <407bbe85$1_1@news.iprimus.com.au>, "Canus_Lupis"
>patryc_willis@hotmail.com says...
>> >
>> I set up my computer in the garage next to my car and run my ignition timing
>> light off the engine. This works though I had to close the doors and pull
>> the blinds down to keep the light out so I had a really good view of the
>> wobble in the blades of each fan. You have to keep the strobe very steady on
>> each fan for about 15 minutes to get a good reading but it is worth it in
>> the end as I will be replacing 3 of my fans tomorrow.
>>
>I'll put it here, rather than responding to the various people who
>commented on this post.
>
>==WHOOSH==
>
>:)
When the Authorities note a huge Nation-wide rise in Carbon Monoxide
poisoning cases we will be in a position to tell them why .... :)
--
Roger Hunt

Canus_Lupis wrote:
|| "GwG" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
||| "ThePunisher" <thepunisher@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
||| would
||| Probably better with opera glasses.
|| I set up my computer in the garage next to my car and run my
|| ignition timing light off the engine. This works though I had to
|| close the doors and pull the blinds down to keep the light out so I
|| had a really good view of the wobble in the blades of each fan. You
|| have to keep the strobe very steady on each fan for about 15 minutes
|| to get a good reading but it is worth it in the end as I will be
|| replacing 3 of my fans tomorrow.

Q. a good reading of what exactly

Normal people just replace their Fans.

--
Grouch

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Canus_Lupis" <patryc_willis@hotmail.com> wrote in message

[snip]

> but it is worth it in the end as I will be replacing 3 of my fans
tomorrow.

Why? I mean, if you need a strobe to see if there's anything "wrong", then
surely there's nothing wrong. If there was anything really wrong, then you
wouldn't need a strobe to find out, surely?

Its like saying "When I illuminate my fans with gamma radiation, I notice it
shows some pink spots on them. It was a hell of a job trying to find a
strong enough gamma source, and smuggling the plutinium in past customs sure
was risky. But it was worth, because I will be replacing 3 of my fans
tomorrow".

I must be missing something. (Like maybe I haven't had my brain removed
yet.)

Chip

Bagpuss

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:18:25 +1000, "Canus_Lupis"
<patryc_willis@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"GwG" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "ThePunisher" <thepunisher@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> would
>> > >
>> > And how do you plan to see the play?
>> >

>> Probably better with opera glasses.
>>

>I set up my computer in the garage next to my car and run my ignition timing
>light off the engine. This works though I had to close the doors and pull
>the blinds down to keep the light out so I had a really good view of the
>wobble in the blades of each fan. You have to keep the strobe very steady on
>each fan for about 15 minutes to get a good reading but it is worth it in
>the end as I will be replacing 3 of my fans tomorrow.

Good gawd. I hope you know that some perfectly OK fans have slight
slop in their bearings anyway. Any looseness of significance will
result in noise from the fans as they hit the outer rim of their
housing. Just how many fans do you have in the machine?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

In article <407bbe85$1_1@news.iprimus.com.au>, "Canus_Lupis"
patryc_willis@hotmail.com says...

> "GwG" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "ThePunisher" <thepunisher@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > would
> > > >
> > > And how do you plan to see the play?
> > >

> > Probably better with opera glasses.
> >

> I set up my computer in the garage next to my car and run my ignition timing
> light off the engine. This works though I had to close the doors and pull
> the blinds down to keep the light out so I had a really good view of the
> wobble in the blades of each fan. You have to keep the strobe very steady on
> each fan for about 15 minutes to get a good reading but it is worth it in
> the end as I will be replacing 3 of my fans tomorrow.

I'll put it here, rather than responding to the various people who
commented on this post.

==WHOOSH==

:)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Canus_Lupis" <patryc_willis@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "GwG" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "ThePunisher" <thepunisher@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > would
> > > >
> > > And how do you plan to see the play?
> > >

> > Probably better with opera glasses.
> >

> I set up my computer in the garage next to my car and run my ignition
timing
> light off the engine. This works though I had to close the doors and pull
> the blinds down to keep the light out so I had a really good view of the
> wobble in the blades of each fan. You have to keep the strobe very steady
on
> each fan for about 15 minutes to get a good reading but it is worth it in
> the end as I will be replacing 3 of my fans tomorrow.

hehe

Chip wrote:
|| "Canus_Lupis" <patryc_willis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
|| [snip]
||| but it is worth it in the end as I will be replacing 3 of my fans
||| tomorrow.
|| Why? I mean, if you need a strobe to see if there's anything
|| "wrong", then surely there's nothing wrong. If there was anything
|| really wrong, then you wouldn't need a strobe to find out, surely?
|| Its like saying "When I illuminate my fans with gamma radiation, I
|| notice it shows some pink spots on them. It was a hell of a job
|| trying to find a strong enough gamma source, and smuggling the
|| plutinium in past customs sure was risky. But it was worth, because
|| I will be replacing 3 of my fans tomorrow".
|| I must be missing something. (Like maybe I haven't had my brain
|| removed yet.)
|| Chip

If you hav not done it or you don't have the desire to do it, then it's a
safe bet your brains intact and positioned where it should be. :)

These two think a strobe is for seeing if their bearings are faulty, that
just might be true. :-D

--
Grouch

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Grouch" <nonyet@lookyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Chip wrote:
> || "Canus_Lupis" <patryc_willis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> || [snip]
> || Why? I mean, if you need a strobe to see if there's anything
> || "wrong", then surely there's nothing wrong. If there was anything
> || really wrong, then you wouldn't need a strobe to find out, surely?
> || Its like saying "When I illuminate my fans with gamma radiation, I
> || notice it shows some pink spots on them. It was a hell of a job
> || trying to find a strong enough gamma source, and smuggling the
> || plutinium in past customs sure was risky. But it was worth, because
> || I will be replacing 3 of my fans tomorrow".
> || I must be missing something. (Like maybe I haven't had my brain
> || removed yet.)
> || Chip
>
> If you hav not done it or you don't have the desire to do it, then it's a
> safe bet your brains intact and positioned where it should be. :)
>
> These two think a strobe is for seeing if their bearings are faulty, that
> just might be true. :-D
>
> --
> Grouch

Faulty bearings =

(a) horrible noise. Detection instrument required = 1 x Ear, or pair of.
or
(b) slow spin speed / reduced air flow. Detection instrument required = 1 x
Hand
or
(c) faulty brain. Detection instrument required = 1 x stroboscope ;-)

Chip.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Chip wrote:
[...]
> (b) slow spin speed / reduced air flow. Detection instrument
> required = 1 x Hand

Note: It is recommended that the full-sized Hand tool is used, rather than
the smaller Finger tool, otherwise operator injury may occur.

:)

[...]

--
Michael Brown

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote in message
> Chip wrote:
> [...]
> > (b) slow spin speed / reduced air flow. Detection instrument
> > required = 1 x Hand
>
> Note: It is recommended that the full-sized Hand tool is used, rather than
> the smaller Finger tool, otherwise operator injury may occur.

.... although this may be no bad thing. LOL!

Bagpuss

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:29:52 +0100, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net>
wrote:

>"Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote in message
>> Chip wrote:
>> [...]
>> > (b) slow spin speed / reduced air flow. Detection instrument
>> > required = 1 x Hand
>>
>> Note: It is recommended that the full-sized Hand tool is used, rather than
>> the smaller Finger tool, otherwise operator injury may occur.
>
>... although this may be no bad thing. LOL!

I would suggest helping darwin out and getting him to put his winky in
there.

"Roger Hunt" <test@carewg.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <MPG.1ae5f0cd459cf6449898b3@news.individual.net>, Rob Morley
> <nospam@ntlworld.com> writes
> >In article <407bbe85$1_1@news.iprimus.com.au>, "Canus_Lupis"
> >patryc_willis@hotmail.com says...
> >> >
> >> I set up my computer in the garage next to my car and run my ignition
timing
> >> light off the engine. This works though I had to close the doors and
pull
> >> the blinds down to keep the light out so I had a really good view of
the
> >> wobble in the blades of each fan. You have to keep the strobe very
steady on
> >> each fan for about 15 minutes to get a good reading but it is worth it
in
> >> the end as I will be replacing 3 of my fans tomorrow.
> >>
> >I'll put it here, rather than responding to the various people who
> >commented on this post.
> >
> >==WHOOSH==
> >
> >:)
> When the Authorities note a huge Nation-wide rise in Carbon Monoxide
> poisoning cases we will be in a position to tell them why .... :)
> --
> Roger Hunt

Well, it just goes to show how many people out there are not rowing with
both oars in the water.
I simply can`t believe how many people took this poast seriously.

In article <407c74bb$1_1@news.iprimus.com.au>, "Canus_Lupis"
patryc_willis@hotmail.com says...

> "Roger Hunt" <test@carewg.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > In article <MPG.1ae5f0cd459cf6449898b3@news.individual.net>, Rob Morley
> > <nospam@ntlworld.com> writes
> > >In article <407bbe85$1_1@news.iprimus.com.au>, "Canus_Lupis"
> > >patryc_willis@hotmail.com says...

> timing
> pull
> the
> steady on
> in
> > >>
> > >I'll put it here, rather than responding to the various people who
> > >commented on this post.
> > >
> > >==WHOOSH==
> > >
> > >:)
> > When the Authorities note a huge Nation-wide rise in Carbon Monoxide
> > poisoning cases we will be in a position to tell them why .... :)
> > --
> > Roger Hunt
>
> Well, it just goes to show how many people out there are not rowing with
> both oars in the water.
> I simply can`t believe how many people took this poast seriously.

Their number may have diminished if anyone took your advice :)

"Canus_Lupis" wrote:
> Well, it just goes to show how many people out there are not rowing with
> both oars in the water.
> I simply can`t believe how many people took this poast seriously.

I just figured you were one of those motorheads who had a exhaust pipe removal system in your garage, although it
did sound a bit queer.

Jon

> "Roger Hunt" <test@carewg.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > In article <MPG.1ae5f0cd459cf6449898b3@news.individual.net>, Rob Morley
> > <nospam@ntlworld.com> writes
> > >In article <407bbe85$1_1@news.iprimus.com.au>, "Canus_Lupis"
> > >patryc_willis@hotmail.com says...

> timing
> pull
> the
> steady on
> in
> > >>
> > >I'll put it here, rather than responding to the various people who
> > >commented on this post.
> > >
> > >==WHOOSH==
> > >
> > >:)
> > When the Authorities note a huge Nation-wide rise in Carbon Monoxide
> > poisoning cases we will be in a position to tell them why .... :)
> > --
> > Roger Hunt
>
> Well, it just goes to show how many people out there are not rowing with
> both oars in the water.
> I simply can`t believe how many people took this poast seriously.

thought the hardest bit would have been to exactly match your engine revs to
fan speed to achieve any stroboscopic results ;)

cheers
Steve

Bagpuss

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:36:24 +0800, "Scribble" <scribble@home.now>
wrote:

>"Canus_Lupis" <patryc_willis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Roger Hunt" <test@carewg.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > In article <MPG.1ae5f0cd459cf6449898b3@news.individual.net>, Rob Morley
>> > <nospam@ntlworld.com> writes

>> timing
>> pull
>> the
>> steady on
>it
>> in

>> > When the Authorities note a huge Nation-wide rise in Carbon Monoxide
>> > poisoning cases we will be in a position to tell them why .... :)
>> > --
>> > Roger Hunt
>>
>> Well, it just goes to show how many people out there are not rowing with
>> both oars in the water.
>> I simply can`t believe how many people took this poast seriously.
>
>thought the hardest bit would have been to exactly match your engine revs to
>fan speed to achieve any stroboscopic results ;)

There is the obvious flaw. He should have used a 2 stroke bike or a
GSXR-400 :)

"Bagpuss" <rich.bagpuss.ard.hal.bagusss.ford@low.orbit> wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:36:24 +0800, "Scribble" <scribble@home.now>
> wrote:
>

> >"Canus_Lupis" <patryc_willis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Roger Hunt" <test@carewg.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
Morley

> >> timing
> >> pull
> >> the
> >> steady on
> >it
> >> in

> >> Well, it just goes to show how many people out there are not rowing
with
> >> both oars in the water.
> >> I simply can`t believe how many people took this poast seriously.
> >
> >thought the hardest bit would have been to exactly match your engine revs
> >fan speed to achieve any stroboscopic results ;)
>
> There is the obvious flaw. He should have used a 2 stroke bike or a
> GSXR-400 :)

Well, that explains why I thought 3 of my fans were rooted. This means I
spent $9 for nothing and I still have this splitting headache.

Bagpuss

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:08:27 +1000, "Canus_Lupis"
<patryc_willis@hotmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> There is the obvious flaw. He should have used a 2 stroke bike or a
>> GSXR-400 :)
>
>Well, that explains why I thought 3 of my fans were rooted. This means I
>spent $9 for nothing and I still have this splitting headache.

Have your lips lost the blue tint yet?

Have you considered the bearings on your hard drive. After all loose
bearings generate friction, which generates heat. So if you have any
warm hard drives I suggest putting those through the same process. If
you can't remove the top plate with screws I suggest gentle
application of a dremel to cut open the cover plate. You could then
put some perspex over the hole for inspection purposes and to keep
dust out.