[SOLVED] Looking for a suggestion to update my MSI Z97 PC MATE

peterng

Honorable
Nov 9, 2017
Hello,

Hope all is well. I posted a topic regarding an issue with power on my PC earlier and someone suggested that it may be the issue with the Motherboard. Currently my specs:

ABS Stalker X ALI012 with a few modifications:
  • Chipset Intel Z97
  • Intel Core-i7-4790K (4.0 GHz)
  • 16 GB DDR3 2 TB HDD
  • GTX 2060 (replaced the original Nvidia GTX 960)
  • Additional 500G SSD
  • Cougar SL 600 Power Supply
I'm going to replace my PSU to 700-750w and i still have around $200 to spend. Can you please suggest which motherboard that I can upgrade? given i will re-use all of the other hardware that i currently have, including the case. Thank you

View: https://i.imgur.com/VoaCJnL.jpg

Solution
Cases are a personal thing.
Bust your budget if you need to for one you love.
My criteria for a good case:
a. It must hold your parts. It looks like your motherboard is ATX size with 7 expansion slots.
M-ATX will have only 4.
b. At least two front 120/140mm intakes.Those intakes should have a easy to clean filter to keep your parts clean.
c. There should be 160mm height available for a good air cooler.

d. Buy a case you love, it will be with you for a long time.

Here is a Fractal design meshiify C case with a mesh front for $90:
https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-meshify-c-tg-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352084
It comes in white and other options.

Another reasonable case might be the NZXT H510 for $70...

Lutfij

Titan
What PSU will you be buying? As for the motherbaord, you won't be getting much in terms of a good quality board outside of Ebay and any board you do pick up, that's not a PC mate by MSI is a step above your existing board. You could look at an Z97 EVGA board...? but if you want to rebuild the system with new hardware, you might need to up your budget.

Preferred site for purchase and your location? Will PCPartPicker work for you?

Reactions: peterng

peterng

Honorable
Nov 9, 2017
What PSU will you be buying? As for the motherbaord, you won't be getting much in terms of a good quality board outside of Ebay and any board you do pick up, that's not a PC mate by MSI is a step above your existing board. You could look at an Z97 EVGA board...? but if you want to rebuild the system with new hardware, you might need to up your budget.

Preferred site for purchase and your location? Will PCPartPicker work for you?
Thank you for your reply.

For PSU, i was thinking about Corsair RMX and Corsair CX750M, since I don't have a really high end PC so i may go with 750M or lower. What is your suggestion in term of rebuilding the system? I can spend up to $500 or a little more to upgrade it.

I live in US so I don't have any reference, and PCPartPicker works as well. I may prefer bestbuy or frys for quick in-store pickup but newegg and others work fine. Thank you.

Edit: i may also add a fan or so since it's really hot inside the rig.

Dark_Red_Rose

Reputable
May 10, 2017
Hi there Bud!

Judging my small experience in PC building i would say first try with new PSU unit. If this one is faulty it will do weird stuff...
Corsair is good brand of PSU units.

If you are going to replace Mobo - my Dad's PC is using Asrock Z97 Extreme 4 - for the last 5 years, with CoolerMaster PSU 500W that came with the case K350. We did change his old mobo Asus z97-k to current one Asrock due faulty Pcie GPU slot... weird.

Just a quick question? Does the PC slows down only when put on heavy load?

Best regards,
Mr. Sniper ;)

peterng

Honorable
Nov 9, 2017
Hi there Bud!

Judging my small experience in PC building i would say first try with new PSU unit. If this one is faulty it will do weird stuff...
Corsair is good brand of PSU units.

If you are going to replace Mobo - my Dad's PC is using Asrock Z97 Extreme 4 - for the last 5 years, with CoolerMaster PSU 500W that came with the case K350. We did change his old mobo Asus z97-k to current one Asrock due faulty Pcie GPU slot... weird.

Just a quick question? Does the PC slows down only when put on heavy load?

Best regards,
Mr. Sniper ;)

Thanks for your reply. No, not really, my pc is not slowing down with heavy load. I can render movies on Adobe After Affect and play game at the same time in the past, not a problem.

In term of the size, how can i make sure the new mainboard will fit into the current case of the ABS? Which spec that i need to look for?

Your original post indicated a temperature issue.
If you reached 100c, that is the point where your i7-4790K will throttle.
Your photo shows a stock intel cooler.
I think such a cooler is a bit inadequate for your processor and really should be swapped out.
If you were working ok before, it is possible that the cooler has been dislodged or the paste has deteriorated.
See my stock instructions at the end.

I do not think the more sinister explanations of a bad motherboard or psu are likely explanations.
A GTX2060 should run just fine on a 500w psu.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
A quality psu is a long term investment if you want a psu replacement.
Look for a seasonic focus in 550 or 650w.
Here is one tier list of psu quality:

True, your case is not good for cooling.
You have only one front intake which I guess might be 120mm,
You could replace the intake with a much higher cfm unit at the cost of more noise.
I might opt instead to buy a more modern case replacement as well as a tower type cooler with a 120mm fan.

----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to install.
A poor installation will result in higher cpu temperatures.
If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the motherboard.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the opposite direction of the arrow,(clockwise)
and pulled up as far as they can go.
Take the time to play with the pushpin mechanism until you know how they work.

Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.

When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.

If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard should be out of the case to do the job. Or you need a case with a opening that lets you see the pins.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly
unless you can verify that the pins are through the motherboard and locked.

If you should need to remove the cooler, turn the pins counter clockwise to unlock them.
You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.
Clean off old paste with alcohol and a lint free paper like a coffee filter.
Apply new paste sparingly. A small rice sized drop in the center will spread our under heat and pressure.
Too much paste is bad, it will act as an insulator.
It is hard to use too little.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

peterng

Honorable
Nov 9, 2017
Your original post indicated a temperature issue.
If you reached 100c, that is the point where your i7-4790K will throttle.
Your photo shows a stock intel cooler.
I think such a cooler is a bit inadequate for your processor and really should be swapped out.
If you were working ok before, it is possible that the cooler has been dislodged or the paste has deteriorated.
See my stock instructions at the end.

I do not think the more sinister explanations of a bad motherboard or psu are likely explanations.
A GTX2060 should run just fine on a 500w psu.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
A quality psu is a long term investment if you want a psu replacement.
Look for a seasonic focus in 550 or 650w.
Here is one tier list of psu quality:

True, your case is not good for cooling.
You have only one front intake which I guess might be 120mm,
You could replace the intake with a much higher cfm unit at the cost of more noise.
I might opt instead to buy a more modern case replacement as well as a tower type cooler with a 120mm fan.

----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to install.
A poor installation will result in higher cpu temperatures.
If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the motherboard.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the opposite direction of the arrow,(clockwise)
and pulled up as far as they can go.
Take the time to play with the pushpin mechanism until you know how they work.

Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.

When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.

If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard should be out of the case to do the job. Or you need a case with a opening that lets you see the pins.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly
unless you can verify that the pins are through the motherboard and locked.

If you should need to remove the cooler, turn the pins counter clockwise to unlock them.
You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.
Clean off old paste with alcohol and a lint free paper like a coffee filter.
Apply new paste sparingly. A small rice sized drop in the center will spread our under heat and pressure.
Too much paste is bad, it will act as an insulator.
It is hard to use too little.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello, thank you for a very detail and informative reply. So to put together what i have gathered so far, i'm going to replace my case + PSU + add a new cool fans. And maybe if the problem still persists i can look to have my motherboard replaced in the next quarter.

In term of case and cool, can you please recommend some that will fit the current motherboard? and perhaps which cooling fan that i can use to replace the stock Intel cooler?

Thank you.

a. It must hold your parts. It looks like your motherboard is ATX size with 7 expansion slots.
M-ATX will have only 4.
b. At least two front 120/140mm intakes.Those intakes should have a easy to clean filter to keep your parts clean.

https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-meshify-c-tg-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352084

Another reasonable case might be the NZXT H510 for $70.
https://www.newegg.com/matte-black-red-nzxt-h-series-h510-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811146316

A popular cpu cooler might be the cm hyper212@$35.
https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-rr-212e-20pk-r2/p/N82E16835103099
It works OK, but I found it difficult to mount evenly.

Noctua makes very good fans and the coolers are about the easiest to mount.
You will do well with a NH-U12s @$65:
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-u12s/p/N82E16835608040?&quicklink=true

Unless your current power supply is giving you problems, I would not necessarily change it out.
The wattage or the efficiency ratings are not the best metrics for psu quality.
Buy a psu for the long term as an investment.
They do not go obsolete.
As a rule, Seasonic is a safe bet.
Here is a seasonic focus gold @ $102
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-550-gold-ssr-550fm-550w/p/N82E16817151203
The 650w unit is only $15 more.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

Solution

peterng

Honorable
Nov 9, 2017
M-ATX will have only 4.

Another reasonable case might be the NZXT H510 for $70.
https://www.newegg.com/matte-black-red-nzxt-h-series-h510-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811146316

A popular cpu cooler might be the cm hyper212@$35.
https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-rr-212e-20pk-r2/p/N82E16835103099
It works OK, but I found it difficult to mount evenly.

Noctua makes very good fans and the coolers are about the easiest to mount.
You will do well with a NH-U12s @$65:
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-u12s/p/N82E16835608040?&quicklink=true

Unless your current power supply is giving you problems, I would not necessarily change it out.
The wattage or the efficiency ratings are not the best metrics for psu quality.
Buy a psu for the long term as an investment.
They do not go obsolete.
As a rule, Seasonic is a safe bet.
Here is a seasonic focus gold @ $102
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-550-gold-ssr-550fm-550w/p/N82E16817151203
The 650w unit is only $15 more.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.
Awesome reply. I have added the items to my cart. From your previous post you mentioned "paste has deteriorated". Another silly question, do i need to buy any paste and apply? Or just replace the Intel CPU fan and put on new one?

This is the motherboard that i have, can you please let me know what are the 7 expansion slots? I only count 4 (1 used for gfx card and 3 unused) so i'm not sure where are the rest 3.

Thank you for your quality response, really appreciate it!