Looking for a super low budget gpu

dionyshsk

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
hey all,im a noob regarding which gpu is better for me and i wanted to ask the community.
I want a super cheap gpu that can run league of legends in low settings in stable 30fps.My cpu is intel core quad q6600 and i have 2gb of ddr2 ram with a 220w power supply. any advice?

Solution

CASES come in a couple of sizes. The very small form factor cases take a 1/2 height video card. Also known as low profile. The midtower cases take a full size video card.

There are PLENTY of good cards that you can use on that power supply, but please post full specs or the people here will give bad advice.

There was already one good comment on the amount of memory you have. You should get to minimum 3GB or 4GB. Knowing he number of slots...

Lehan123456789

Respectable
Sep 10, 2016

If you must get a super low end GPU and you have no other options, a gt 1030 or Rx 550 would do.
However, like the post above mentions, you will almost certainly need a new power supply before you get a graphics card. even something cheap like a VS450 would be OK for a build this cheap! Honestly if I were you I would look for something like a used 560 ti, which will perform up to 30% better and will be cheaper then a gt 1030! Only issue with that is you need a decent power supply to power a gtx 560 ti.

A GT 1030 would probably be your best bet to use with your existing power supply, since it only requires around 30 watts under load. Most of them are also low-profile cards, which might be needed if your system happens to be in a slimline case. 1030s should be priced starting at around $70 in the US.

I would kind of disagree with the suggestion for something like a 560 TI though. Since it's a six year old graphics card design, it's far less efficient. It might be a bit faster than a GT 1030, but it also draws more than 160 watts under load. Not only would it absolutely require a new power supply, but it would also likely dump a fair amount of heat into the case, and if it's a pre-built system, it might not be designed to cope with all that heat particularly well.

Lehan123456789

Respectable
Sep 10, 2016

I entirely agree. I was just saying that a 560 ti would be cheaper (you can find them for less then $20 if you look hard enough) might be an option, as with the money saved you could get a decent power supply. Of course if the case is not a good one, and you are unable to find a blower-style 560ti it is not worth it.

CASES come in a couple of sizes. The very small form factor cases take a 1/2 height video card. Also known as low profile. The midtower cases take a full size video card.

There are PLENTY of good cards that you can use on that power supply, but please post full specs or the people here will give bad advice.

There was already one good comment on the amount of memory you have. You should get to minimum 3GB or 4GB. Knowing he number of slots and whether you have 32-bit or 64-bit windows changes the recommendation.

If you are not sure of your specs post model number.

GL

Solution

Does your PSU provide a 6 pin connector ? if not then previous answers are good for this application
What Make and model of Motherboard you have, because maybe you could get 4gb of ram going will make playing any games realistically possible

dionyshsk

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
So im using intergrated graphics from my motherboard (intel gma 3000) with windows 10 64 bit.I don't know if my psu is a 6 pin connector unfortunately.and it is indeed a pre built system so i dont know what type of case i have. my motherboard is from gigabyte and the model is GA-946GZ-DS2. i suspect that it doesnt support more than 2gb ram. Sorry can't quote anyone since im typing this on phone

Lehan123456789

Respectable
Sep 10, 2016

Since its a pre-built I would suspect it is a dell or HP rebrand of a crappy CWT or Delta PSU. Whatever the case I wouldn't trust it with anything more then a 1030, unless you upgraded it.

dionyshsk

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
i can't seem to find the psu manufacturer neither the model so i suspect that it's an oem one. do you have any suggestions regarding a budget psu and where to buy? i live in europe.

Lehan123456789

Respectable
Sep 10, 2016

Hi,
I live in Australia so I have no idea about stores in europe, I'm afraid!
For super budget power supplies most things on tier 6 will be OK, however I can't truly recommend anything below tier 5. Be careful however because some prebuilts have proprietary power connectors and will be unable to use anything other then the power supply the manufacturer provided (in this case you might have to scrap the CPU and Motherboard). Check that the motherboard uses normal power (one 20 or 24 pin and one 4/8 pin CPU connector)

The tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

I am not the most experienced in older systems, so I may be wrong. Anyone with anything to add would be much appreciated!