Question Looking for a tablet to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiBlitz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2019
Hey

So recently i have had to use the train to get places a lot and i usually watch netflix episodes i have downloaded, The screen of my phone is a bit small tho so i wanted a tablet.

All it needs to be able to do is play video in HD both downloaded netflix video and youtube videos on WIFI.

My budget is around 200-300$ so if anyone has recomendations around that price i'd appreciate it.

Greetings
KiwiBlitz

I had a Galaxy Tab S 10.5 (AMOLED screen) and a 2017 Amazon Fire 10" (LCD screen). Video image quality was substantially better on the AMOLED screen. The dog destroyed the Tab S (knocked it out of my hand and screen shattered when it hit the ground). I've been using the Amazon Fire, but despite having what reviewers say is one of the best screens on an Android tablet, it's vastly inferior to the AMOLED screen on my broken tablet. I plan to get a Tab S5e as soon as they become available ($399 MSRP). (Avoid the Tab S2 - its second revision has not been approved by Hollywood so it will not display Netflix, Amazon Video, etc in HD.)

There have been some very good sales on the 2018 9.7" iPad for around $250. That would be a good choice if you also wish to do non-movie things with it, or have already purchased a bunch of iOS apps. But the 4:3 aspect ratio will hurt it when playing videos (will be equivalent to a 8.9" 16:9 screen).

But if you want something cheap only for viewing videos, consider the 8" 2018 Amazon Fire. It's not the best tablet, doesn't have the greatest screen, but it by far gives you the best price to performance ratio. It's $80 at full price, and you could get it for as low as $40 on sale during the Christmas holiday (the 2017 version went as low as $20, but is now sold out).

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Amazon-Fire-HD-8-2018-Tablet-Review.365771.0.html

Whatever you get, make sure it's a recent tablet. Unlike laptops or desktops, I do not recommend buying used unless it's only 1-2 years old. The reason is that the tablet processors do not have enough horsepower to decode video streams in real time. They have to rely on the hardware decode built into the GPU. But hardware video decode for the newer video codecs like h.265 and VP9 are only available in newer tablet GPUs. So for a satisfactory streaming experience today and in the near future, you will need a newer tablet.

Reactions: KiwiBlitz

KiwiBlitz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2019
I had a Galaxy Tab S 10.5 (AMOLED screen) and a 2017 Amazon Fire 10" (LCD screen). Video image quality was substantially better on the AMOLED screen. The dog destroyed the Tab S (knocked it out of my hand and screen shattered when it hit the ground). I've been using the Amazon Fire, but despite having what reviewers say is one of the best screens on an Android tablet, it's vastly inferior to the AMOLED screen on my broken tablet. I plan to get a Tab S5e as soon as they become available ($399 MSRP). (Avoid the Tab S2 - its second revision has not been approved by Hollywood so it will not display Netflix, Amazon Video, etc in HD.)

There have been some very good sales on the 2018 9.7" iPad for around $250. That would be a good choice if you also wish to do non-movie things with it, or have already purchased a bunch of iOS apps. But the 4:3 aspect ratio will hurt it when playing videos (will be equivalent to a 8.9" 16:9 screen).

But if you want something cheap only for viewing videos, consider the 8" 2018 Amazon Fire. It's not the best tablet, doesn't have the greatest screen, but it by far gives you the best price to performance ratio. It's $80 at full price, and you could get it for as low as $40 on sale during the Christmas holiday (the 2017 version went as low as $20, but is now sold out).

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Amazon-Fire-HD-8-2018-Tablet-Review.365771.0.html

Whatever you get, make sure it's a recent tablet. Unlike laptops or desktops, I do not recommend buying used unless it's only 1-2 years old. The reason is that the tablet processors do not have enough horsepower to decode video streams in real time. They have to rely on the hardware decode built into the GPU. But hardware video decode for the newer video codecs like h.265 and VP9 are only available in newer tablet GPUs. So for a satisfactory streaming experience today and in the near future, you will need a newer tablet.

Did you mean this tablet with the first one? Its pricy but within my budget. https://www.alternate.be/Samsung/Ga...inch-tablet/html/product/1478126?event=search

The site is in dutch but the specs are listed there too.

I just feel like if i go too cheap i'l just be worse off in the long run if i end up wanting to use the tablet for different things too.

Did you mean this tablet with the first one? Its pricy but within my budget. https://www.alternate.be/Samsung/Ga...inch-tablet/html/product/1478126?event=search
No, the Tab A uses a regular LCD screen. It's a nice enough tablet (for having a LCD screen), but IMHO a bit overpriced compared to what else is out there.

The Tab S 10.5 was a 2014 model with a beautiful AMOLED screen. I don't recommend getting it used because the hardware is showing its age - mainly, it cannot play h.265 videos and 10-bit h.264 videos without stuttering.

I don't have easy access to EU pricing. But $250 was the sale price I've seen for the latest 9.7" iPad several times here in the U.S. during the last 5 months. EU prices should be higher due to your VAT. If you have a friend visiting the U.S., you could ask them to pick one up for you and bring it back under their duty-free allowance.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ipad-latest-model-with-wi-fi-32gb-space-gray/5201300.p

Reactions: KiwiBlitz

KiwiBlitz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2019
Amazon prices things the same ammount in euro as in dollar which means that people buying stuff in america get it for a lot cheaper than i do thanks amazon, Really appreciate the fair treatment.

Asadumer

Commendable
Mar 14, 2017
in this budget you could buy ipad ipad which is very good for watching HD netflix shows, playing games and doing some other general purpose work too, the battery timing is also good as compare to android tabs

Status
Not open for further replies.