[SOLVED] Looking for a VERY beefy modem

Mar 27, 2019
I'm getting an hefty 5 gb router from asus soon and looking for a modem that can actually give me 5 gb connection all the time. Not like an netgear modem that can only give me 2 gb's out of the 5 I want. I can get the 10 gb router if needed but I suppose I don't need that since linus doesn't have 10 gb stable connection (I think he just got it)

I'm not experienced in networking pretty much at all but I do know all the basics. So excuse me if I didn't know something.

Solution
You should contact your ISP for a list of compatible devices. Do they even offer speeds that fast?

DOCSIS 3.1 or 3.1 Full Duplex would be what you are after. But if you just need fast communication between devices, then the router should suffice. Only if your ISP can deliver up to 5Gbps would having a faster modem be of any worth.

For instance I have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem capable of supposedly 330Mbps. My ISP only provides me with about 90Mbps. My internal network though is capable of 1Gbps via wire and I can't recall the wireless speeds. Not really important, since I know it is faster than the ISP. Be a long while before I will be looking to replace my modem.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You should contact your ISP for a list of compatible devices. Do they even offer speeds that fast?

DOCSIS 3.1 or 3.1 Full Duplex would be what you are after. But if you just need fast communication between devices, then the router should suffice. Only if your ISP can deliver up to 5Gbps would having a faster modem be of any worth.

For instance I have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem capable of supposedly 330Mbps. My ISP only provides me with about 90Mbps. My internal network though is capable of 1Gbps via wire and I can't recall the wireless speeds. Not really important, since I know it is faster than the ISP. Be a long while before I will be looking to replace my modem.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
seems like you may be thinking that this modem will allow your net access to be that fast. that's not the case, your isp and the plan you pay for is what will determine that as well as network conditions and so on.

if you're just thinking internal network speeds around your house, then the fast router you got is all you need for that since it will allow for fast connections between devices connected to it.

but if you only pay for 50 Mb/s then that's all your gonna get no matter how fast the modem can handle.