aoresteen

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
I am looking for an older 32bit laptop. Here's the hardware spec I need:

1. 4GB RAM capable.
  2. Easy access to the 2.5" hard drive. Prefer SATA but I could live with PATA
  3. 2.4 GHz P4 or better CPU
  4. 13" to 14" screen - 1280 x 1024 would be perfect.
  5. VGA or DVI port
  6. PCMCIA/PC Card slot or a native RS-232 Port (for HAM radio)

I will be running DOS, XP, Win7, and Linux Mint.

Anyone one know who made one like this?

TIA

are you searching for a particular make\model that you've lost track of
or just for anything that may support similar components?

and why exactly?
just for some retro building project?

an easier idea for searching for something like this may be to find a chipset or specific P4 CPU that existed when these were popular setups.
then search online retailers and auctions for a used laptop featuring that chipset\CPU.
there won't be many search parameters allowing to input most of those options you've listed so using a certain chipset or CPU could help narrow the search down to systems that might include some of these options.

aoresteen

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
are you searching for a particular make\model that you've lost track of
or just for anything that may support similar components?

and why exactly?
just for some retro building project?

an easier idea for searching for something like this may be to find a chipset or specific P4 CPU that existed when these were popular setups.
then search online retailers and auctions for a used laptop featuring that chipset\CPU.
there won't be many search parameters allowing to input most of those options you've listed so using a certain chipset or CPU could help narrow the search down to systems that might include some of these options.
Thanks all. I am NOT tied to a particular brand or model.

This would be my away from home laptop. Right now I am using a Compaq nc6220 with a 360 gb PATA drive. It's full. I'd like a 2TB SATA to work with. I currently have the 360GB PATA partitioned into 4 primary partitions:

1. 2GB FAT16 for PCDOS 7.01 for DOS development and old DOS games. That's why I'm fine with a 1280x1024 screen - it's the correct aspect for DOS. Those 1400x900 screens look funky when they scale up a DOS screen.

2. 80GB for WinXP SP3 for a few apps that do not run under Win10 but I use regularly. Primarily HAM Radio RS-232 serial apps, camera software that ended with WinXP, and a couple of PCMCIA/CardBus cards that I have that do not have support beyond WinXP..

3. 100GB EX4 partition for Linux Mint 19.3 32bit Cinnamon. Daily user for email/word processing/spreadsheets/presentations and web browsing with FireFox.

4. The rest of the drive is a NTFS data partition used by WinXP & Mint to share docs and holds reference material that I use.

The current RAM I have in the nc6220 is maxed out at 2GB. 4GB would be better for Mint/FireFox. Everything I run in WinXP is more than fine with 2GB. I currently run a Pentium M 2.2GHz - a P4 or Duo Core 2.4GHz again would help Mint/FireFox. Since there are XP drivers for all the chip sets of this era and Mint seems to handle them as well, I am not tied to any chip set.

Alabalcho: Thanks I will look at the Dell D6xx series.

aoresteen

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
I bought a Dell D630 w/4GB RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 2.40GHz. It checked all the boxes plus it has 1394. Bought a SODIMM 4GB to bump it to 6GB (Will try Linux Mint 19.3 64bit. Bought an Intel Core 2 Extreme X9000 SLAQJ 2.8GHz Dual-Core witch is the fastest CPU that most sources say it can run. If it runs too hot I will sell it. Bought a 2TB SATA 2GB 2.5" hard drive. Made sure I got the Inter Graphics not the Nvidia chip.

Now to get it all to work :)

Thanks for the help!

ASK THE COMMUNITY