[SOLVED] looking for a way to use a old dell pc i have laying around

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
So i have a older dell OptiPlex laying around running a i3 and 8gb of ddr3 ram. Now I've been wanting to use it for something for a while but couldn't think of anything as my main pc is the powerhouse computer, I have plenty of storage on here so i don't think a server would be practical, at least to my knowledge. I can have it hardwired and on all the time as i have extra room, maybe use it as a Minecraft server of some kind? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Solution
Im not exactly sure, what is plex? I don't have any kind of firewall and don't have a security system so no need to store footage. Im not sure if its possible but hosting a minecraft server off of it would be another usage for me.
If you don't know what Plex is, you don't need a plex server.

Many of us have old hardware laying around.
If you don't know what you might need it for, you probably don't need it.

Here's a thought...
Install Linux on it, and gift it to a user or family who would otherwise not have a system.

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
What use cases are you thinking of, that you do not currently have?

Backup location, Plex, learning Linux....what?
Im not exactly sure, what is plex? I don't have any kind of firewall and don't have a security system so no need to store footage. Im not sure if its possible but hosting a minecraft server off of it would be another usage for me.

USAFRet

Titan
If you don't know what Plex is, you don't need a plex server.

Many of us have old hardware laying around.
If you don't know what you might need it for, you probably don't need it.

Here's a thought...
Install Linux on it, and gift it to a user or family who would otherwise not have a system.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS