[SOLVED] Looking for a white case fans, $15 budget

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
I'm looking for white 120mm case fans for my build. When I say 'white', I mean the 'housing' part (or the frame, I don't know what they are called). I've seen many case fans with white blades, but am looking for fans with white blades AND housing. My current fans are Enermax RGBs, which are working really well but my friend wanted it for his new build so, why not get myself new ones? It's been years anyway..

To make it short : 120mm fully white case fans that isn't too expensive, something like $15 each range (as I have 6 to replace they add up really quickly). RGB. I might take a look at non-RGB ones if they're really worth it.

Also, a quick question : PWM case fans? I've seen one or two fans that 'supports PWM control'. Pardon me for the seemingly useless question but how do they work? I know PWM means they have adjustable speeds like CPU fans, but do they spin up when the PC gets hot? Where do I plug them, to the CPU_FAN on the motherboard? How do the fans decide when it's hot enough to start spinning fast?

My current fans plugs into a proprietary control box which is powered by molex adapter, speeds (and RGB) are controlled manually using a remote (before this Enermax ones I used cheap whatever brand fans that daisy-chains directly to molex cables, they pretty much stuck at max speed, hence why I replaced them).
Due to the inconvenience of adjusting the speeds using the remote I just put them on highest speed I can bear (without making them too loud) and leave it like that. Case fans that can slow down automatically when not in use sounds like alien tech for me.

Thanks!

Solution
PWM fans have a fourth wire that allows the BIOS or you to fully control the speeds via software. Three-pin fans need an external controller unless they provide would with a pot to make adjustments.

Honestly, I wouldn't get too crazy with case fans (6) is a bit much and all your doing is adding noise. If you have an AIO then that is your exhaust or Intake depending on where it's installed. If your using big air then two in the front and one in the back is plenty.

RGB fans? Does your motherboard have 5V or 12V RGB headers or are you depending on the lame Enermax box only?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
PWM fans have a fourth wire that allows the BIOS or you to fully control the speeds via software. Three-pin fans need an external controller unless they provide would with a pot to make adjustments.

Honestly, I wouldn't get too crazy with case fans (6) is a bit much and all your doing is adding noise. If you have an AIO then that is your exhaust or Intake depending on where it's installed. If your using big air then two in the front and one in the back is plenty.

RGB fans? Does your motherboard have 5V or 12V RGB headers or are you depending on the lame Enermax box only?

Solution

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
I'm running an air cooler (I don't know if the Cryorig H7 can be considered 'big air', it does look big though). Reason I'm using 6 fans is because they sold it in 6-packs, and my case has 6 case fans mounting so I thought it was convenient.

Aye, I'm running an X370 MSI motherboard and it has an RGB header (the NON-addressable one, so I suppose 12V?). But it's unused though, as I'm using the Enermax box to control the RGB, it's a relic of old times when I was still running A320 motherboards with no RGB header.

So, reading a bit about PWM thing, they indeed plug into the fan header on the motherboard, correct?
So, any recommendations?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
MSI X370 GAMING PLUS ?

1X CPU PWM fan
1XPUMP fan

4X System fans running in default DC mode but changeable via BIOS to PWM.

1X 12V RGB header

The Enermax box won't interface to the RGB header?

As far as a PWM fans that goes back to RGB vs Non RGB. Cheap RGB fans don't have great life expectancy so it's a balance of "Bling" vs Life. $15 for a RGB fan is on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
To be precise, the X370 SLI PLUS. But I don't see much diffrrence with that GAMING PLUS model other than the names and superficial things. The enermax box does connect to the RGB header just fine (and it's controllable using MSI's software too). BUT for some reason the lights appear dim when controlled with the header (probably due to lack of brightness settings?). Hence why I decided to run it with the remote which has brightness control and what not.

So... alright then let's bump it up a bit. Considering I don't need 6 fans per what you said (with 3 fans might be enough), any good recommendations that doesn't blow the budget skyhigh? We're talking like twice more money per fan by virtue of just buying 3 instead of 6.