looking for administrator's permission

mpere

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Hello everyone. I finally was able to clone my operating system (Win 7 HP) to my new SSD. My HDD (WD black 1TB) which I labled as my D: drive, I left as storage to accept downloads, games, music, pictures etc. I change my default download location to the HDD so as to not overload my SSD. In order to test out my settings, I tried to download an article to the D drive and I got a message saying that I needed administrators permission to save the download. I am the only user on my computer and have full administrator's rights. This is something that I do not understand. The only thing I can think of is because I clone my OS, I now have the original and clone OS on two different drives. Does this mean that I have to change the administrator for the OS on the SSD or because it's a clone OS my administrator rights stay the same for both drives. Please excuse my ignorance on this subject, this being the first time I ever set up a system this way. Thank you all in advance for any help you can give.

Solution
If I understood you, your HDD 1TB acts as one partition labeled as D, and on D is your system cloned. There is no other partition? What is exact location of your downloads. It's probably wont let you put downloads because of another W7 OS.

mironso

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
If I understood you, your HDD 1TB acts as one partition labeled as D, and on D is your system cloned. There is no other partition? What is exact location of your downloads. It's probably wont let you put downloads because of another W7 OS.

Solution

cpuwrite

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
I don't have an answer to this, but I can tell that the people who have responded are asking the wrong questions.

I've had (and am currently having) similar problems with Windows Vista on an HP Pavilion dv9700t CTO. I cloned the C drive using XXCLONE then took it off of the system, After my prayers were answered and Vista accepted one of my product keys (Micro$oft == a$$holes), I found that one of my utility programs that required ID verification couldn't figure out my account password any more. I had similar problems when I used the same cloning program previously on a different hard drive--the HP PC Monitoring utility could not save its temp file when I tried to close it, I know this was a file permission problem because I enabled the Administrator account and fond that it was the only account on the system that could save that temp file.

I'm pretty sure we've got the same problem--and I'm pretty sure that the system isn't confusing the cloned and original drives. The problem lies elsewhere.