Looking for "Adventure" games, not "Puzzle" games

Hey all - I was wondering if anybody could recommend some good games with
emphasis more on the environment and the story than on the puzzle solving.
I love the text IF genre, but I don't like the puzzles as much. To me the
puzzles often spoil the environment. Thanks!

In article <kxjWd.16966$ha.1167061@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
Klemson <klmeson-removeme-@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>Hey all - I was wondering if anybody could recommend some good games with
>emphasis more on the environment and the story than on the puzzle solving.
>I love the text IF genre, but I don't like the puzzles as much. To me the
>puzzles often spoil the environment. Thanks!

Do you want *no* puzzles, only easy puzzles, or only puzzles that are
integrated into the environment?

In any case, what I would suggest doing is checking out the IF
Scoreboard, and looking at the top 10 in a genre of games you might
like. For instance, you might want to check out the top 10 puzzleless
games:
http://www.carouselchain.com/if/statistics.php?genre=32&type=genre&limit=10

That said, only a few of these can truly be said to have no puzzles
at all, but the puzzles are sparse enough in all of them that you'll
be satisfied.

--
Dan Shiovitz :: dbs@cs.wisc.edu :: http://www.drizzle.com/~dans
"He settled down to dictate a letter to the Consolidated Nailfile and

Hey Dan - I would say all of the above, no puzzles, easy puzzles, or
integrated puzzles are all fine. I just don't want them to get in the
way of the game :)

Great link - I will try it later today! Anybody have any other
suggestions? Thanks again!!

By the way, sorry to all about the triple post. I was getting an error
in my reader that it wasn't posting due to an error. It turns out that
it was :)

Klemson wrote:
> Hey Dan - I would say all of the above, no puzzles, easy puzzles, or
> integrated puzzles are all fine. I just don't want them to get in
the
> way of the game :)
>
> Great link - I will try it later today! Anybody have any other
> suggestions? Thanks again!!

Try City of Secrets. It's pretty much tied with Anchorhead as my
all-time favorite game. (I get the feeling Anchorhead would NOT be the
kind of thing you're looking for, or else I'd recommend that one, too.)

Anyway, CoS is plot and character driven with only a couple of simple
puzzles, and they tie into the story seamlessly.

Nathan

Klemson wrote:
> Hey all - I was wondering if anybody could recommend some good games
with
> emphasis more on the environment and the story than on the puzzle
solving.
> I love the text IF genre, but I don't like the puzzles as much. To
me the
> puzzles often spoil the environment. Thanks!

Try reading a book. No puzzles to get in the way of the story.
Seriously, to me puzzles are the "I" in IF.

It is always hard to know what puzzles will seem hard or out of place
to another person.

Still I'll list some games:

Photopia
Photograph
Ming-Sheng
The Cabal
Galatea

All of these should be worth your time to at least take a look.

Cirk R. Bejnar

On 7 Mar 2005 12:00:51 -0800, "Cirk R. Bejnar" <eluchil404@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>It is always hard to know what puzzles will seem hard or out of place
>to another person.
>
>Still I'll list some games:
>
>Photopia
>Photograph
>Ming-Sheng
>The Cabal
>Galatea
>
>All of these should be worth your time to at least take a look.
>
>Cirk R. Bejnar

I am currently playing Worlds Apart by Suzanne Britton, which seems to
fit the bill. Of course, the game may change direction and become
difficult later on, but I somehow doubt it.

Boluc Papuccuoglu