Question Looking for advice about GPU diagnostic tools

Nov 11, 2022
Hi guys,

i recently purchase a dead RX580 Pulse 8gb for 40 euros and i have lab psu and multimeter at home. Im new in GPU repair but i make good progress understanding how things work. If i repair this GPU, it will be installed in my first ever PC build. To explain quickly what's wrong is the card has been sold has no powering up at all. fuses from the 12V rail (at the 8pins) connector are blown but there is no short to ground on the 12V rail. The symptoms are totally similar to this video "
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R11uUFS4hU
".. The core is taking amps if i apply voltage at the power stage coils but not if i apply voltage at the bottom side of the blown fuses..
I made all the test Eli explains in his videos and in my case i do not have output from the GS7103 which supposed to give the 1.8V but as the opposite of him i do not own a motherboard yet, so im not feeding voltage from the PCIE :( during my tests.. He's also refering to the output phase driver NCP81022 as supposely faulty but unfortunatly he does not explain the process (im searching on internet actually).

So the question i have, i might look stupid because of my lack of knowledge, but is holding a motherboard with pcie connectors powered up madatory to track the faulty ic between the GS7103 or NCP81022 in my case ?

In last chance before i buy a motherboard (in any case i ll have to but still waiting for good prices), i have a double lab psu, which give me in total 3 psu at home. Is it the good way if i inject 12V from the 8pin connector, another 12V from the PCIE and 3.3V from the PCIE using my 3 lab psu or is it totally idiot ?

Live and learn

Cheers !!!

Nov 11, 2022
i believe you could use pcie riser (mining one) to feed pcie slot power without mainboard
its costs around 10 usd on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Ziyituod-Express-Graphics-Extension-Ethereum/dp/B09T378WJZ
its cheaper than mainboard

thank you Kerberos,

yes i finally ended on this possibility... I don't want to risk anything bad on the gpu, im going to buy this pcie adapter. What is really strange is the fact the 12V ext rail fuses have blown but no shorts on this rail, not around the Main phase driver (ncp81022) which is supposed to have a known cap to be shorted around, in my case the cap is fine... I also bought fuses but really it would not make sense to have the card working after replacing only the fuses... There is obviously something that drained too much current.