looking for advice for buying the 1180/2080

zqa20

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
So my 3570k is now starting to show It's age, in terms of multi tasking, and it's also starting to require more volts. I plan to upgrade my 3570k, as soon as the 8 core coffee lake CPU comes out, and enjoy it for 5+ years.

Now, I was planning to upgrade my gtx 980 at the same time, but it seems that the 1180 is coming out around the July mark and the 8 core intel CPU is coming out at the tail end of the year.

The issue is, from looking on these forums and online, GPUs are very inflated at the moment and this will most likely carry on to the next set of GPUs coming out.

So should i buy the 1180 as soon as it comes out or should i wait until I upgrade my CPU?

PS I live in the UK in which I THINK prices are coming down due to our high electricity costs.

The miners will eat the stock of the gpu's up within the first week if they prove good for mining. There are also rumors that the cards will launch at a much higher price this time. So in all honesty just wait since I don't think you would want to spend 1000$+ for a card :p.

zqa20

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014

That sucks.....I guess I'll have to stick to 1080p :/

Big leaks just came out like 30min ago. 699$ msrp for the 1180. So snag it if you can at that price.

zqa20

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014

Thanks.

Is there any rumored performance gains over the 1080ti or is it going to be another, 780ti-980 performance jump?

Only theoretical performance expressed in Tflops which isn't much to go by.

zqa20

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014

Hmm. Would you say that the "theoretical performance increase" is enough to push 4k at 60fps with settings turned up?

Also when do credible benchmarks start coming out pre launch? I kind of want to get as much info before launch so i can make an educated decision on launch day prior to prices sky rocketing.

Launchday = benchmarks usually. So all you can hope for is leaks until launch.

zqa20

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Dam :(. I really wish they did something about these dam prices.....It looks like i may just buy one on release on a crap shoot so i can avoid the price hikes.

Out of curiosity how long after the 1180 +titan does the ti version usually release? Does the ti usually release after some pressure from AMD?

Only wondering due to the 8 core coffee lake isn't expected to release until the end of the year.

The ti and titans release whenever they feel like it usually.

toshibitsu

Distinguished
GPU's run very hot these days, especially when you want to crank up the resolution/video settings. I plan to get whatever card I can, then get a water cooler for it as soon as parts are available(which also includes upgrading the thermal paste to grizzly kryonaut).

zqa20

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Yeah...I don't really know how to setup a custom water loop so i tend to go with a 3rd party cooler like EVGA. I have a HAF x which has a 200m fan on the side blowing on the GPU but even still I doubt that will help me push the card very far in terms of overclocking with a stock cooler.

Here's hoping there's 3rd party coolers on release or i guess I'm on the shit list ^^.

With this whole GPP thing going down won't 3rd party sellers be able to sell their custom cards on release this time round?