Looking for advice for running Online Trading Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gintama69

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Hello, I want to start up my own online business/website in Australia to buy&sell used furniture because I have interest and experience dealing with furniture and I also have a friend who runs a small used furniture outlet.
So I'm thinking of making a website called "www.usedfurnituretrader.com.au" etc, and everybody also buy&sell their unwanted used furniture.

Not sure if it's the best idea, but I want to have the website in form of discussion board, i.e. similar to Tom's Hardware forum.
Therefore everyone can easily browse, buy&sell once they are registered to my website/forum.

There are already similar websites in Australia such as eBay, Amazon, Gumtree etc, but my website will only deal with used furniture and hopefully more user-friendly due to use of the discussion board layout.

I know you buy cheap new furniture easily from Ikea etc, but I still believe such website can be successful if I work very hard because used are much cheaper than Ikea, I often see people throwing out unwanted old furniture on the streets, and I can also help my friend's small used furniture outlet.. and also hopefully get some sponsor(Ikea, Officeworks etc) if the site becomes popular.

Do you think my small business idea can be successful if I work hard for it?
Do I need to get any legal advice regarding to forum rules, fraud etc? i.e.
  • I want to have "Verified Member" option if possible, i.e. registered member will be required to provide full details(name, address, phone no + bank or credit card transaction confirmation to become "Verified Member" to offer much safer trading between registered members.
  • Also will I be liable for the damage in case of fraud? if someone sell $2000 near-new leather couch for $400 via shipping and just take the money etc.

Is there anything else that I should consider or check before starting up the business? Thank you

Gintama69

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Hello USAFRet,

Thank you very much for the advice.
Would you happen to know whom/where should I contact to get the proper legal advice?
I assume standard lawyers probably don't have expertise on internet/website/forum laws?

Status
Not open for further replies.