Looking for advice in possible GPU upgrade

Wir_Sind_Im_Krieg

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016
When I built my rig, I was on a tight budget. I got a deal on an XFX Double D 7950, and now it's starting to show its age. My specs are:
i7-4770k OC'ed to 4.2Ghz
Z87-G41 PC Mate
10gb of some off-brand RAM running at 1333Mhz with a timing of 9-9-9-24
Corsair CX600 (46a on a single 12v rail)
I'm going to be gaming in 1080p (with a side monitor 900p that I watch youtube videos on)
My question is, is there anything that would bottleneck the GPU? Is there any reason to need a "gaming" mobo for a GPU upgrade? Should I buy new RAM?
I don't game a whole lot, so I don't want to spend lots.
I've been leaning towards the GTX 1060. What's the best model to get? Is the 3gb card fine for Ultra 1080p, or should I get the 6gb version? Thanks for any thoughts.

Solution
Your CPU can handle any gfx card out there. Yes, the GTX 1060 is a good choice. Even the 3GB version is adequate for 1080p/60 Hz. I have one myself. About equivalent to my GTX 970... maybe a tad faster. I was running Doom Ultra (Vulcan) at well over 100 FPS minimum with that card and with almost any of my CPUs.
No, you don't need a special board for gaming cards. And your RAM is fine.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Your CPU can handle any gfx card out there. Yes, the GTX 1060 is a good choice. Even the 3GB version is adequate for 1080p/60 Hz. I have one myself. About equivalent to my GTX 970... maybe a tad faster. I was running Doom Ultra (Vulcan) at well over 100 FPS minimum with that card and with almost any of my CPUs.
No, you don't need a special board for gaming cards. And your RAM is fine.

Solution