Question Looking for advice on a Calendar app that automatically backs itself up

hikoPC

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2013
I have a friend who has memory issues (and proper medical condition that is) and relies on her phone calendar app to help her maintain her life, but recently she had a problem with numerous deleted entries in her Google Calendar, which understandly caused a lot of distress for her. She's not very technically savvy, and I'm a little more savvy but I don't really use calendars in my own day-to-day life, but from what I can gather Google Calendar doesn't do auto backups, so I've advised her to get into the habit of manually backing up her calendar while I look into the matter of figuring out if there are any apps that will back things up automatically for her, so if she ever has a deleted entry issue again, she can at least restore the calendar fully. What I have quickly discovered though, is that it's a bit of a minefield! There's hundreds of apps out there all claiming to be better than the others, and googling the topic just leads you down a labyrinth of promotional websites that don;t really tackle the issue (probably because most are based around Google Calendar). I was looking at apps that sync multiple calendars together like Any.do, but information on the whole back up situation seems to be hard to find.

Does anyone here have some experience with Calendars or any other advice they could share? Thank you!

Ralston18

Titan
Not an easy situation.

So many applications are not really "senior friendly" and often even contrary. The main focus often being to just shove ads etc. into the user's face.

Plus the small font, tiny buttons, and "improvements" via updates just make it all worse... Things get changed and the end user gets confused.

What phone does your friend have? Does she, a family member, or even you have other devices where the backups can be stored? Maybe even in the cloud.

FYI:

https://www.samsung-messages-backup.com/resources/backup-android-calendars-to-computer.html

Hopefully the search can be narrowed a bit.

hikoPC

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2013
The person is actually quite young (early 30s) but they have a medical condition that affects their memory, so snall font, etc, is perfectly fine, they just need a calendar app that does automatic backup (ideally) because they can easily "forget" to update things manually. I've really struggled to find any info about back ups on app websites. It seems to be a huge hole in the industry because Google calendar doesn't realy do that sort of thing.

The phone is an Oppo IIRC, forget the model number.

TRENDING THREADS