Looking for Advice on ASUS Z87 + SSD + Win 8.1 Build from Scratch

Intermediate User

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Hi,

I’m building a PC from scratch. I’m an intermediate user and would like some advice to get off to a good start on the build process. Thanks!

==> Just trying to make sure I can get the motherboard installed into the case and want to make sure I can get Windows 8.1 Pro Full Version installed on the SSD so the SSD is the boot drive.

==> Using a Samsung 512GB Pro SSD. Would like this to be the "C" drive. Will boot from this; additionally it will hold all program files and some/most user files such as “my documents”.

PC Configuration:
Windows 8.1 Pro Full Version on DVD purchased from Microsoft Store
Asus Z87 Pro
Intel i5
Samsung 512GB Pro SSD
8 GB RAM
LG 24X DVD Drive
Western Digital 1TB Hard Drive (will only store large files; would like this to be the "D" drive)
eVGA GeForce GT 630 video adapter driving 2 monitors
Plus some other parts all being installed in a Corsair case with a Corsair Power Supply

==> Maybe build the PC first and just install the SSD, get Win 8.1 loaded, then add the Western Digital HD as a later step?

Any special drivers to collect from anywhere before I get started?

===> Any recommendations on key steps to keep in mind would be most appreciated. Or links to any articles or videos would be good too.

It’s an entirely clean set up so no need to worry about old OSs, old files or data migration, no dual boot, just clean clean but from scratch.

Thanks for any advice!

Solution
I always build outside of the case first to verify that all the parts are good.

I do it on a wooden surface or even the top of the motherboard box.
Assemble the cpu, ram, cooler.
Plug a monitor into the integrated graphics port along with a keyboard, mouse and dvd.
Plug in the psu.
If your motherboard does not have a start button, touch te two PWR switch leads with a screwdriver, it only takes a momentary touch.

I first boot memtest86+ from a usb drive or a cd.
That will check out a bunch.

Once that works out, I will load the os and selectively run the supplied drivers from the motherboard cd.
Be careful to load only drivers, not all the software junk that is included.

Then, I connect to the internet and install an antivirus like...
I always build outside of the case first to verify that all the parts are good.

I do it on a wooden surface or even the top of the motherboard box.
Assemble the cpu, ram, cooler.
Plug a monitor into the integrated graphics port along with a keyboard, mouse and dvd.
Plug in the psu.
If your motherboard does not have a start button, touch te two PWR switch leads with a screwdriver, it only takes a momentary touch.

I first boot memtest86+ from a usb drive or a cd.
That will check out a bunch.

Once that works out, I will load the os and selectively run the supplied drivers from the motherboard cd.
Be careful to load only drivers, not all the software junk that is included.

Then, I connect to the internet and install an antivirus like Microsoft security essentials.
I will update the os to currency and install check out the graphics card.

My last step is to install the motherboard in the case.

I find a #2 magnetic tip Phillips screwdriver to be invaluable in mounting the motherboard and other parts.

Solution
it pretty straight forward when the parts come in. put in the io shield of the mb into the case make sure it pressed in. then put the 9 bras standoffs in the right places. then due to asus using a lot of padding on there io shield have someone push the mb into the io shield and when it lines up use a magnetic tipped screw driver to put the four screws in each side of the mb. dont lock them in yet just down to where they wont fall out. then put the other screws in. what you dont want to do is push the mb to far forward so that the video card and other pci slotted cards wont fit behind the mb. once the mb is in on the mb itself is a set of sata ports. plug the ssd into sata port 0. plug in the sata data cable into sata port one for the hard drive but dont connect it right now. dont do any cable management (tye wraps till the pc has windows on it and your done a few hours burn in and the pc running fine.) what i do on first boot is go into the bios and sit at the health and temp screen for 20-30 min. watch the cpu temps make sure there fine and stable. then i turn on xmp profile in the bios and set the sat ports to achi. I then look at the bios rev of the mb if it old I download the newest bios and use the mb bios update tool and update the bios.

with the mb bios updated go back in and set the boot order to cd rom first then the ssd drive. save and exit. on reboot you get a message hit any key to boot from cd rom. boot from cd rom and start the windows installer. if the ssd vendor put a partion on the ssd you have to go into windows advance mode and remove it and reboot. if there none windows will build two for you the system restore and the main data partion and then start the windows instal. after a few min it will reboot dont hit any key to go into the windows cd. your rig will boot from the ssd and windows installer will finish. when the windows installer finishes and your sitting in windows..shut the pc down. plug the hard drive back in and power up and go into the bios. make sure under hard drive the new drive is there. under boot devices set the ssd as first boot and the cd-rom as second boot. go into windows if your lucky the new drive will be there for you. if not you have to use window drive management to format and set the new drive up. I use a usb stick with the newest drivers. the mb drivers on the mb cd are fine just old. you want install the intel chipset driver first then reboot then intel mei driver and reboot. then nvidia video driver and then sound and network driver. then go into windows device manager and see if your missing any drivers. if your not missing any then run windows updater.
some tips on the build. pick up few 4g cheap usb sticks. use microsoft iso to usb tool. make two copies of your windows installer disk. put the disk someplace safe and use a lable maker to make a oem lable for the side or back of the pc. if you lose the cd or number you have to buy a new cd/oem number. if mom or dad has a file folder box put the owners guilds into the box. also fill out and send in your warranty cards. most vendors now only give you 30 days to register your product. some people like myself make small spread sheet we put the parts serial and warranty info into it. so if a part fails we can see if the part in or out of warranty.

Intermediate User

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Thanks for the help. Please keep the advice coming - I appreciate it.

Some More Questions (not in any particular order):

What is the "Microsoft to USB tool?"

Does the SSD need to be formatted?

Should it be formatted with NTFS?

When installing Windows 8.1 Pro Full Version - will the OS give a choice between 32 bit and 64 bit (I would like 64 bit)?

Is there any reason to copy the Win 8.1 DVD to a USB stick and install the OS from the USB stick instead of using the DVD in the DVD drive?

Thanks!

Intermediate User

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
So per the earlier recommendations (but skipping a few of the finer points), the basic steps are:
1. Build Motherboard outside chassis
2. Connect Power Supply to Motherboard (without connecting AC)
3. Connect DVD (or use USB stick to load OS)
4. Connect SSD
5. Connect monitor, keyboard, and mouse
6. Turn on Power
7. Setup SSD in Bios; set to achi
8. Install Win 8.1 via DVD or USB
9. Add drivers and updates as needed
10. Reinstall Motherboard in Case
11. Add other hardware, etc.

Additonal comments/suggestions welcome. Thanks!