Looking for advice on Case fan layout

CJD15

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
Hello,
I have a Silverstone Tek ML07B chassis for my custom PC build.
I'm having a minor heating problem with my Graphics card (which is a MSI TwinFrozr GTX 770). If you look at the images of the ML07B case there is 3 case fan intakes on it.
It can be seen in the images here ML07B
There is 2 fan intakes on the bottom directly below the graphics card. It is a little off center of the edge of the card though it extends a little further past it.
The other and final intake is directly above the CPU cooler fan.

All of these have exactly enough room to handle a standard 120mm x 25mm case fan. I think will like to go with all Arctic F12 fans, which are indeed 120x25. But if need be I could go with the smaller 12-15mm thin silverstone fans which seem to have the same specs and performance.

My question is, since this is a bit of a strange setup for the fans. I am wondering how I should set my fans on this case. Should I do all three? Should not even add fans since they are so close to fans already on the coolers of the CPU and graphics card? If I add the fans should I face them all inwards towards the other fans? Currently that's what I am thinking, but it would be nice to have an exhaust fan. But the case has exhaust vents all along the top and bottom on 3 of the sides.

Any way you guys could share your opinions? I'd appreciate it.

Solution
I would use the three front intakes as intakes and the one above the CPU cooler as exhaust to make sure it has positive pressure and gets the hotter rising air out.

It's simple but sometimes it's best not to overthink it.

Joe Newbie

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
I would use the three front intakes as intakes and the one above the CPU cooler as exhaust to make sure it has positive pressure and gets the hotter rising air out.

It's simple but sometimes it's best not to overthink it.

Solution

CJD15

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
That's what I would think but the problem is by making that an exhaust above the CPU cooler, its going to be close. There will be maybe nearly 5 mm in between the CPU fan blowing down, and a case fan blowing out. Seems like it would diminish the effects of the fan cooling the CPU?

Joe Newbie

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

So it's not an after market heatsink..... well the stock heatsink does blow straight down and the heat being dissapated needs somewhere to go and since hot air rises it is better to get it out of the case right there rather than to let it build up and change the ambient closer to the GPU lower in the case. it's why a GPU has it's fans on the underside, it's drawing the cooler air from below rather than warmer from above. That heat, along with the CPU heat needs to vent out properly.

Even with that consideration I would set it up 3 front in, 1 top out. Can you put a 140mm in the roof to get even more heat out? Might be better to use a larger fan as the single exhaust.

Joe Newbie

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
I have a Noctua NH-U14s I have it blowing from front to back, it draws airflow directly over my ram, and the rear case exhaust fan is only about 1 fans width away from the fan from the heatsink, so it's pushing right out.

CJD15

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
It is actually an aftermarket CPU cooler. Its the Scythe Suriken B rev 3.
Was revommended as good fit with that case with its low profile.

Okay I will see if I can work something out doing that. I should of went with the noctura but I was worried if the vertical mount would fit. Apparently it does I have read.