[SOLVED] Looking for advice on most economical way to add a 4th display

Nov 14, 2020
System:
Dell XPS 13 9370
Intel UHD Graphics 620
Dell TB16 docking station

x2 Samsung LS22F350 monitors

I have been using this setup for the past year and using my laptop screen as a third monitor.

I've decided I would like add a 4th display and sitting in the closet I have an old Dell E176FP.

From what I can gather, this Intel GPU will only support 3 displays and from what I can tell in trial and error that seems correct as I can only get 3 screens lit at once, either all 3 externals or 2 externals and the laptop screen.

This is my home office setup and I do not game or do any type of substantial image processing or anything. My typical day is web browsers ( a lot of web browswers), pdf docs, word processing, spreadsheets, email and I'll usually have youtube or music playing somewhere.

What is the most economical way for me to add a 4th display? I've given myself a head ache researching this, but I am just uncertain what I need and what if anything will work.

I'd prefer to keep the cost as low as possible and was wondering if something like the would work.

Also, I know the Dell monitor is old and I'd love to upgrade it in the future as well and maybe even get a 4th external monitor down the road and then quit using the laptop screen entirely, so with that in mind would something like Plugable USB 3.0 to HDMI video graphics adapter work and also allow me to expand to 4 external monitors in the future?

Solution
The only path I see is to get a USB Type-A driven display adapter and then plug that into an available USB port but that will only mean that the display powered off the USB port will be viewable only when the system has booted into the OSes GUI.

IMHO, I'd not invest anymore resources into plugging a very old monitor to that laptop.

Lutfij

Titan
The only path I see is to get a USB Type-A driven display adapter and then plug that into an available USB port but that will only mean that the display powered off the USB port will be viewable only when the system has booted into the OSes GUI.

IMHO, I'd not invest anymore resources into plugging a very old monitor to that laptop.

Solution