Looking for advice on MSI K7T266-Pro2 rev. 2 and Matrox G550

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

I have an MSI K7T266-Pro2 rev. 2 motherboard and a Matrox G550 video
card stably running Windows NT 4.0 and Debian Linux 3.0.

In the past, I tried upgrading (clean install actually) to Windows XP,
but gave up, as I kept getting video driver errors "infinite loop in
MGA64.DLL" or some such.

Scouring Usenet archives and amdforums, it looks like the problem may
have been AGP Fast Writes being turned on.

Before I try it again, I'd appreciate input from anyone who has this
working successfully.

I've attached a listing of my current BIOS settings.

Thanks very much in advance for your assistance,

PaulG

Advanced CMOS Features
----------------------
Quick Boot...................Enabled
Full Screen Logo Show........Disabled
1st Boot Device..............CDROM
2nd Boot Device..............IDE-0
3rd Boot Device..............Disabled
Try Other Boot Devices.......No
S.M.A.R.T. for Hard Disks....Disabled
BootUp Num Lock..............On
Floppy Drive Swap............Disabled
Floppy Drive Seek............Off
Primary Display..............VGA/EGA
Password Check...............Setup
Boot to OS/2.................No
Internal Cache...............Writeable
System BIOS Cacheable........Disabled
C000,32k Shadow..............Disabled
APIC Function................Enabled
MPS Table Version............1.4

Advanced Chipset Features
-------------------------
Configure SDRAM Timing by....SPD
SDRAM Frequency..............SPD
CAS Latency..................2.5
Row Precharge................3T
RAS Pulse Width..............6T
RAS to CAS Delay.............3T
Bank Interleave..............Disabled
Burst Length.................4QW
SDRAM 1T Command.............Disabled
Fast Command.................Disabled
AGP Mode.....................Auto
AGP Comp Driving.............Auto
Manual AGP Comp Driving......CB
AGP Fast Write...............Disabled
AGP Aperture Size............64Mb
AGP Master 1 W/S Write.......Disabled
AGP Master 1 W/S Read........Disabled
Write to Read Delay..........Enabled
Read to Write Delay..........2
AGP Read Synchronization.....Disabled
PCI Delay Transaction........Enabled

IPCA Function................Yes
AXPI Standby State...........S1/POS
Power Management/APM.........Enabled

Plug and Play Aware OS.......No
Clear NVRAM..................No
PCI Latency Timer............96
PCI IDE BusMaster............Enabled

Spread Spectrum..............+/- 0.25 %

--
Pursuant to US Code Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Part I,
Section 227, unsolicited commercial e-mail received at this address is

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

Why is your "Plug and Play Aware OS" set to No? For Windows XP it should be
set to Yes.

"Paul Gelinas" <ynospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I have an MSI K7T266-Pro2 rev. 2 motherboard and a Matrox G550 video
> card stably running Windows NT 4.0 and Debian Linux 3.0.
>
> In the past, I tried upgrading (clean install actually) to Windows XP,
> but gave up, as I kept getting video driver errors "infinite loop in
> MGA64.DLL" or some such.
>
> Scouring Usenet archives and amdforums, it looks like the problem may
> have been AGP Fast Writes being turned on.
>
> Before I try it again, I'd appreciate input from anyone who has this
> working successfully.
>
> I've attached a listing of my current BIOS settings.
>
> Thanks very much in advance for your assistance,
>
> PaulG
>
> Advanced CMOS Features
> ----------------------
> Quick Boot...................Enabled
> Full Screen Logo Show........Disabled
> 1st Boot Device..............CDROM
> 2nd Boot Device..............IDE-0
> 3rd Boot Device..............Disabled
> Try Other Boot Devices.......No
> S.M.A.R.T. for Hard Disks....Disabled
> BootUp Num Lock..............On
> Floppy Drive Swap............Disabled
> Floppy Drive Seek............Off
> Primary Display..............VGA/EGA
> Password Check...............Setup
> Boot to OS/2.................No
> Internal Cache...............Writeable
> System BIOS Cacheable........Disabled
> C000,32k Shadow..............Disabled
> APIC Function................Enabled
> MPS Table Version............1.4
>
> Advanced Chipset Features
> -------------------------
> Configure SDRAM Timing by....SPD
> SDRAM Frequency..............SPD
> CAS Latency..................2.5
> Row Precharge................3T
> RAS Pulse Width..............6T
> RAS to CAS Delay.............3T
> Bank Interleave..............Disabled
> Burst Length.................4QW
> SDRAM 1T Command.............Disabled
> Fast Command.................Disabled
> AGP Mode.....................Auto
> AGP Comp Driving.............Auto
> Manual AGP Comp Driving......CB
> AGP Fast Write...............Disabled
> AGP Aperture Size............64Mb
> AGP Master 1 W/S Write.......Disabled
> AGP Master 1 W/S Read........Disabled
> Write to Read Delay..........Enabled
> Read to Write Delay..........2
> AGP Read Synchronization.....Disabled
> PCI Delay Transaction........Enabled
>
> IPCA Function................Yes
> AXPI Standby State...........S1/POS
> Power Management/APM.........Enabled

> Plug and Play Aware OS.......No
> Clear NVRAM..................No
> PCI Latency Timer............96
> PCI IDE BusMaster............Enabled
>
> Spread Spectrum..............+/- 0.25 %
>

> --
> Pursuant to US Code Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Part I,
> Section 227, unsolicited commercial e-mail received at this address is
> subject to a US$500 download and archival fee. By e-mailing such, you
> agree to these terms.

Rich

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

surely the Primary Display should be set to AGP not VGA/EGA?

> [...]
> card stably running Windows NT 4.0 and Debian Linux 3.0.
>
> In the past, I tried upgrading (clean install actually) to Windows XP,
> but gave up, as I kept getting video driver errors "infinite loop in
> MGA64.DLL" or some such.
>
> Scouring Usenet archives and amdforums, it looks like the problem may
> have been AGP Fast Writes being turned on.
>
> Before I try it again, I'd appreciate input from anyone who has this
> working successfully.
>
> I've attached a listing of my current BIOS settings.
>
> Thanks very much in advance for your assistance,
>
> PaulG
>
> Advanced CMOS Features
> ----------------------
> Quick Boot...................Enabled
> Full Screen Logo Show........Disabled
> 1st Boot Device..............CDROM
> 2nd Boot Device..............IDE-0
> 3rd Boot Device..............Disabled
> Try Other Boot Devices.......No
> S.M.A.R.T. for Hard Disks....Disabled
> BootUp Num Lock..............On
> Floppy Drive Swap............Disabled
> Floppy Drive Seek............Off
> Primary Display..............VGA/EGA
> Password Check...............Setup
> Boot to OS/2.................No
> Internal Cache...............Writeable
> System BIOS Cacheable........Disabled
> C000,32k Shadow..............Disabled
> APIC Function................Enabled
> MPS Table Version............1.4
>
> Advanced Chipset Features
> -------------------------
> Configure SDRAM Timing by....SPD
> SDRAM Frequency..............SPD
> CAS Latency..................2.5
> Row Precharge................3T
> RAS Pulse Width..............6T
> RAS to CAS Delay.............3T
> Bank Interleave..............Disabled
> Burst Length.................4QW
> SDRAM 1T Command.............Disabled
> Fast Command.................Disabled
> AGP Mode.....................Auto
> AGP Comp Driving.............Auto
> Manual AGP Comp Driving......CB
> AGP Fast Write...............Disabled
> AGP Aperture Size............64Mb
> AGP Master 1 W/S Write.......Disabled
> AGP Master 1 W/S Read........Disabled
> Write to Read Delay..........Enabled
> Read to Write Delay..........2
> AGP Read Synchronization.....Disabled
> PCI Delay Transaction........Enabled
>
> IPCA Function................Yes
> AXPI Standby State...........S1/POS
> Power Management/APM.........Enabled

> Plug and Play Aware OS.......No
> Clear NVRAM..................No
> PCI Latency Timer............96
> PCI IDE BusMaster............Enabled
>
> Spread Spectrum..............+/- 0.25 %
>

> --
> Pursuant to US Code Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Part I,
> Section 227, unsolicited commercial e-mail received at this address is
> subject to a US$500 download and archival fee. By e-mailing such, you
> agree to these terms.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

I think so too, but I'm still running NT 4.0, and wasn't going to
change it until I was ready for the XP install.

PaulG

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 11:33:15 GMT, "Homer J. Simpson"
<hjsimpson@springfield.usa> wrote:

> [...]
>> card stably running Windows NT 4.0 and Debian Linux 3.0.
>>
>> In the past, I tried upgrading (clean install actually) to Windows XP,
>> but gave up, as I kept getting video driver errors "infinite loop in
>> MGA64.DLL" or some such.
>>
>> Scouring Usenet archives and amdforums, it looks like the problem may
>> have been AGP Fast Writes being turned on.
>>
>> Before I try it again, I'd appreciate input from anyone who has this
>> working successfully.
>>
>> I've attached a listing of my current BIOS settings.
>>
>> Thanks very much in advance for your assistance,
>>
>> PaulG
>>
>> Advanced CMOS Features
>> ----------------------
>> Quick Boot...................Enabled
>> Full Screen Logo Show........Disabled
>> 1st Boot Device..............CDROM
>> 2nd Boot Device..............IDE-0
>> 3rd Boot Device..............Disabled
>> Try Other Boot Devices.......No
>> S.M.A.R.T. for Hard Disks....Disabled
>> BootUp Num Lock..............On
>> Floppy Drive Swap............Disabled
>> Floppy Drive Seek............Off
>> Primary Display..............VGA/EGA
>> Password Check...............Setup
>> Boot to OS/2.................No
>> Internal Cache...............Writeable
>> System BIOS Cacheable........Disabled
>> C000,32k Shadow..............Disabled
>> APIC Function................Enabled
>> MPS Table Version............1.4
>>
>> Advanced Chipset Features
>> -------------------------
>> Configure SDRAM Timing by....SPD
>> SDRAM Frequency..............SPD
>> CAS Latency..................2.5
>> Row Precharge................3T
>> RAS Pulse Width..............6T
>> RAS to CAS Delay.............3T
>> Bank Interleave..............Disabled
>> Burst Length.................4QW
>> SDRAM 1T Command.............Disabled
>> Fast Command.................Disabled
>> AGP Mode.....................Auto
>> AGP Comp Driving.............Auto
>> Manual AGP Comp Driving......CB
>> AGP Fast Write...............Disabled
>> AGP Aperture Size............64Mb
>> AGP Master 1 W/S Write.......Disabled
>> AGP Master 1 W/S Read........Disabled
>> Write to Read Delay..........Enabled
>> Read to Write Delay..........2
>> AGP Read Synchronization.....Disabled
>> PCI Delay Transaction........Enabled
>>
>> IPCA Function................Yes
>> AXPI Standby State...........S1/POS
>> Power Management/APM.........Enabled

>> Plug and Play Aware OS.......No
>> Clear NVRAM..................No
>> PCI Latency Timer............96
>> PCI IDE BusMaster............Enabled
>>
>> Spread Spectrum..............+/- 0.25 %
>>

>> --
>> Pursuant to US Code Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Part I,
>> Section 227, unsolicited commercial e-mail received at this address is
>> subject to a US$500 download and archival fee. By e-mailing such, you
>> agree to these terms.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

Actually this confused me until I saw the option for 'Primary Graphics
Adapter' = 'AGP', which selects the card. 'Primary Display' only sets
the default color/resolution.

Now that I look at the listing below, that option is missing from my
original posting. It should have been right after the 'PCI Latency
Timer' option.

Which begs another question:

Any advantage to in/decreasing this setting?

I often get popping from my SB PCI128, and I read somewhere that
changing the delay might help, but I got conflicting answers as to
which way to set it, and settings of 32/64/96 (64 was the default)
have no noticable difference between them.

PaulG