Looking for advice on setting up Crossfire

Josh Vito

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
I am looking for a second card to add to my gaming pc. I thought I could buy the same card a year later, but alas, newegg does not carry the card any longer. The product link for the card I own (Saphire HD 7790 OC). I'm just not sure what card I should buy to pair with it.

Do I need another 7700 series card?
Can I pair with a 7800 series or R7 Card?

Any guidance is helpful. My goal is to get better gaming performance for ~$100 or less (if possible)

Other components:

• AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo)
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 - MOBO
    RAIDMAX Blackstone series RX-700AC 700W Continuous Power
    Samsung Evo SSD

Solution
Since the OP linked to newegg I'm assuming he lives in the USA. I couldn't find any more 7790's for sale either new or refurbished. The 7790 can't be paired with a 7770 because the 7770 doesn't support crossfire.(but the 7790 does)

So at that point it would be wise to consider purchasing an R7 260X as it can be crossfired with a 7790.

Wow my head is spinning from all these model numbers x__x

dovah-chan

Honorable
You can pair any AMD card together as long as they're in the same series. So in other words, you can pair it up only with another 7700 series card. I didn't know you could crossfire a 7790 as I thought it was too much of a low end card and that a crossfire would debase the higher priced cards.

[You might be able to crossfire it with an R7 260X since they're both based off of Bonaire XT [strike]but don't take my word on it unless you've found someone else with the same combo. [/strike]

You can crossfire a 7790 with an R7 260X.

Yes you can and the above has listed an option. Are other brands of 7790's still available to you also?

Crossfiring other cards of the same type will lower the more powerful card to the slower cards performance, to stop this overclock the slightly slower card to same performance.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Since the OP linked to newegg I'm assuming he lives in the USA. I couldn't find any more 7790's for sale either new or refurbished. The 7790 can't be paired with a 7770 because the 7770 doesn't support crossfire.(but the 7790 does)

So at that point it would be wise to consider purchasing an R7 260X as it can be crossfired with a 7790.

Wow my head is spinning from all these model numbers x__x

Solution

Latest posts