Looking for advice on Upgrades

zeriasis

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2013
Hello all,

I built my computer 4 years or so ago and it is about that time to start considering upgrades.
Current Build
Intel I5 4690k
8gb G skill Sniper series ddr3 Ram
MSI - Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
R9 390 8gb video card
480gb SSD
2 other HDD's one is a 3tb one is a 1 tb
Antec - EDGE 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case is an Thermaltake Core V31

I'm mostly into gaming and watching movies and it's about time to make the upgrade to at least start using DDR4.
I know 100% that I need to upgrade my Processor, Ram, and motherboard to make the Jump. I'm just looking for suggestions and if you could include a better video card in the build it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
I also am really considering overclocking a little bit so a upgraded cooling system. Would like to keep this under $1000.
One of my biggest questions is AMD or Intel. I had a FX4300 before I had this I hated it and upgraded within a year and a half. I have been reading and seen that AMD has really stepped up their game and am wondering is it really worth it to try to go back or would it be best to stay with Intel?

In Arizona.

Solution
Intel is still better in games than AMD.
Though that difference is a lot smaller than before. A lot also depends on the resolution you're using. At higher resolutions (above 1080P), the CPU doesn't matter much.

Ryzen is a great CPU and you can't go wrong by choosing one. AMD also allows you to overclock any Ryzen CPU and they also come with good coolers.

The least you should look at is an i5 8400 or a Ryzen 5 2600.
As for a GPU, you should wait until after August. Nvidia will announce the next gen cards on the 20th.
The 390 seems to be a decent card, comparable to a GTX 1060. So it should suffice a few months.

rhoban

Prominent
Mar 17, 2018
Intel is still better in games than AMD.
Though that difference is a lot smaller than before. A lot also depends on the resolution you're using. At higher resolutions (above 1080P), the CPU doesn't matter much.

Ryzen is a great CPU and you can't go wrong by choosing one. AMD also allows you to overclock any Ryzen CPU and they also come with good coolers.

The least you should look at is an i5 8400 or a Ryzen 5 2600.
As for a GPU, you should wait until after August. Nvidia will announce the next gen cards on the 20th.
The 390 seems to be a decent card, comparable to a GTX 1060. So it should suffice a few months.

Solution

zeriasis

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2013
The i5 8400 I wouldn't be able to Overclock though correct? I will definitely wait on the GPU and wait to see what happens.
What would be a good motherboard for both processors. With specs and comparisons I am leaning more towards Ryzen cpu's I'm thinking of going with the 2600x and 16gb of ddr4 ram.
What do you think of this motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 ATX Motherboard?

zeriasis

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2013
Hmm It's cheaper but in a year or so if I decided to Crossfire or SLI I would have to get a new board. You can't just buy a new board without buying a new processor it's just unethical. lol