Question Looking for advice on upgrading my GTX1060

soulblighter666

Honorable
Jun 12, 2017
Hi all,

I m looking for help in upgrading my GPU (I'm going to be giving mine to a friend for him to build his daughter a low budget pc for Xmas) and since its black Friday I thought I may be-able to get some sort of deal.

I've been lookinj between GTX3060ti, RX6800xt & RX6750xt (I'm also not stuck on these 3 GPU's so I'm happy to look at others). Alos should I be concerned by the fact the 3060ti has only 8gb? The 6800xt seem to be right at the top end of my budget (seen one for about £578 XFX Merc 319) and then I've seen the 6750xt going for about £400 (XFX Quick 319). Also to be honest I've not heard much of XFX so don't know if they are a good card or not.Also in my current case (5000D) I'm only running the 2 (120mm front and rear) fans that came with my case, so should I be looking to add some more?

So any help would be much appreciated.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:

This month
BUDGET RANGE:
Up to £600
USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
Gaming ( New World, 7 Days to die, Total War Franchise, Stellaris, XCOM 1-2, COD Warzone)
CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY:
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Corsair RM850 PSU
OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
i7-12700K,
PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4,
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB 3600 MHZ
Corsair H100i
Sound blaster AE-7
Corsair 5000D Airflow case

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Normally use SCAN, Amazon but not to fussed

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:
UK

PARTS PREFERENCES:
Not to fussed, just want it to last for a few years ideally

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 2560 x 1440 (LG 27GL850) & 1920 x 1200 (Hanns G HZ281H)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

Oct 20, 2022
Your CPU is going to blow away any GPU in that range which is good. I would say VRAM speed is as important as VRAM capacity at this point.

A lot of it depends on the games you want to run and at what settings. If you're sticking 1440p, and aiming for a 60FPS/60Hz experience then I think you've already settled on a reasonable, if not immensely futureproof, choice with the likes of a 3060Ti. The 3000 series is getting more aggressive sales as the 4000 series pops up so you might even get lucky and see a 3070/3070Ti in your price range for Black Friday and that's definitely a more "Keep me maxed out at 1440p for years to come" level of GPU. You get more VRAM in the AMD alternatives but they're not as good in terms of speeds (Old GDDR6 vs faster GDDR6X). I've seen 3070Ti's that are already £650 on Overclockers before Black Friday at their resting price so they should fall under your £600 limit on Black Friday sales as they try to pre-emptively clear the stock to make way for future 4000-series cards (A lot of 3070 cards are already in your price range on Overclockers, so keep an eye out for those on Black Friday too) . 850W PSU should be very happy with that potential setup.

You said you only had two case fans, just make sure you're putting more air in than pushing out (especially with that AIO cooler on your CPU). I would recommend slapping another one on the front if there's only one atm since I think 5000D Airflow cases have more than enough space (If they take 140mm fans, it's a free excuse to get that tiny bit more airflow in, but even another 120mm will help if that's what the case can take)

TLDR: VRAM quantity is balanced by VRAM quality, a 3070 / 3070Ti might be the futureproof option you want if you're shopping during Black Friday, but 3060Ti is hardly a rubbish card either if you can't get one step up.

Edit: Made a mistake in believing a 3060Ti has GDDR6X. It has old-fashioned GDDR6. It's not a gamebreaker but it's definitely not as fast either. I think 8GB is still a reasonable amount of VRAM these days, though if your budget remains the same I would still recommend looking into the 3070 and 3070Ti as they'll be well within your price range during Black Friday.

Last edited: