Question Looking for alternative software for an Epson V600 Scanner due to Epson's dust removal "artifacts."

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Hi, I'm looking for alternative software for an Epson V600 Scanner due to Epson's regular dust removal option leaving "artifacts."

I'd like to hear about both free and paid alternatives. I'm sorry I don't have an example of the artifacts I'm talking about, but in one shot it obliterated the bottom part of a nose because it thought the dark nostrils were dust. :/ I'd show that image but it isn't mine.

I talked to Epson and there advice, which I don't remember seeing on the box, or their website, was to not use their regular dust removal option if at all possible... 0.o'

Of course, I could use Digital Ice, but it takes too long to be worth it when scanning a lot of film strips.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

DM

Phillip Corcoran

Titan
I used to have an Epson scanner and the dust-removal feature could be disabled in scanner software settings, so check that out. In fact I disabled all the filtering effects because I could get much better results doing it manually in Photoshop (and easily using "Undo" if it didn't look right).

If you really do want to use third-party scanner software, give VueScan a try to see if it works with your scanner. You'll have to pay a one-off registration fee if you want to keep it.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Thanks. I did know that I can disable the features, but I have yet to meet an old negative that didn't have some amount of dust on it. :)

Also, post-processing time can be time consuming and put that option out of reach for many customers.

I'll check out VueScan.

Thanks!

ASK THE COMMUNITY