Looking for an android like ipod??

LEKrensta

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
So, I recently broke my kindle fire HD while on the bus and dropped it. And so I've been looking around for something a bit more compact like an Ipod, but runs on android (I cant stand apple products). So my question remains, Is there anything out there in todays market for an ipod like android device? Some people recommended that I just buy an unlocked Moto G and use it such as it is without a data plan or cell plan. Whats your opinion? I could definitely use some suggestions. Thanks!

Solution
If you're going to exclusively use this device for music than the newer MotoG might be overkill. Also, you'll probably want something with a micro SD for more storage.
There aren't any android devices that are strictly media players (though there should be) that I'm aware of currently.

I'd check ebay for something like the Samsung Captivate. You also might want to check XDA forums for suggestions.

Edit: Someone wrote an article about this. http://liliputing.com/2013/12/android-alternatives-ipod-touch-late-2013-edition.html They also recommend the MotoG.

noahhicks

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
If you're going to exclusively use this device for music than the newer MotoG might be overkill. Also, you'll probably want something with a micro SD for more storage.
There aren't any android devices that are strictly media players (though there should be) that I'm aware of currently.

I'd check ebay for something like the Samsung Captivate. You also might want to check XDA forums for suggestions.

Edit: Someone wrote an article about this. http://liliputing.com/2013/12/android-alternatives-ipod-touch-late-2013-edition.html They also recommend the MotoG.

Solution

corcorand82

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Get a nexus 7. By FAR better hardware than an iPod, they run android 4.4 and get updates the day they come out. I can play HD games on it such as dead trigger 2. They have 3 models: nexus 7 16gb WiFi, nexus 7 32gb WiFi and nexus 7 32gb 4g. They start at 230$ and I love mine. It fits into my back pocket comfortably and the keyboard is natural to use. It has a 7" screen and has similar appearance to the kindle fire. GET THE 32gb one not the 16gb though! I used mine to write this comment.

LEKrensta

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013

Yeah, I agree. Why isnt google funding a media player such as an ipod but android based? Dosnt make much sense. But I dont plan to use it just for music. I probably plan to use wifi, play games, download apps ect. But I also want something thats up to date. As far as I know, I can find much that meet my standards other than the Moto G. But again, it does seem weird carrying around a phone using it like an ipod lol

corcorand82

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Google doesn't fund anything, they give away the source, android is a mobile OS, not an ASOS like the iPods software. That gives developers the option to contribute to the ever growing mobile industry. The nexus 7 is as close as you get with top-knotch hardware and awesome graphics.

techtechie

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
speaking as a guy who owned a moto g as a droid-pod, it worked very well, stock android and google services were wonderful. the only problems with it are 1. its heavy 2. its not the moto x lol :)