[SOLVED] Looking for an ATX mobo/CPU/RAM combo to work with existing GFX card

Feb 8, 2021
My computer finally died earlier today (it won't POST).

It was over 10 years old and was driven fairly hard so can't really complain.

The PSU, GFX card and everything else are fine (multimeter tested PSU, and GFX fans spin up), so I'm just looking for mobo/CPU/RAM.

I would reuse the RAM but it's DDR3 so ...

The old mobo is a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 so looking for something similar.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-EX58-UD5-rev-10

Current CPU is an Intel i7 but don't care whether the new one is AMD or Intel.
It would be nice if I could reuse my Noctua cooler and fan though.

PSU is 700W OCZ so has plenty of power.

GFX card is Gigabyte GV-N660OC-2GD which I have to reuse as it has 2 DVI ports which are needed for a dual monitor set up.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N660OC-2GD#ov

Other than that I just have a Toshiba SSD (for the OS) and 2 SATA drives.

Not looking to break the bank and don't do any gaming on it, so something mediocre will do.

Location is US.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hi Brotham.

I do not recommend you keep that 10+ years old PSU. You're lucky that this model lasted for 10+ years. If you don't want that PSU to just die in peace soon or die and bringing some parts with it please replace that for a decent entry model like a Corsair CX.

I will recommend something for the RAM, board and CPU if you tell me your max budget for this.
Hi Brotham.

I do not recommend you keep that 10+ years old PSU. You're lucky that this model lasted for 10+ years. If you don't want that PSU to just die in peace soon or die and bringing some parts with it please replace that for a decent entry model like a Corsair CX.

I will recommend something for the RAM, board and CPU if you tell me your max budget for this.

Solution
That's a fair point - I don't have an issue replacing the PSU.

Not really sure on budget - I was hoping to keep it under $500.

Noctua cooler probably doesn't have the AM4 bracket to be used on a AMD system if this is a 10+ years old model. What's the model?

So no gaming at all? Surfing the web and watching movies etc? No workstation stuff like editing video/picture etc?

Feb 8, 2021
Yes, if I go AMD I will need a new cooler.

No gaming or videos.

Usage is web, spreadsheets, word, some graphics/image stuff (PSP X), and development (PHP, HTML, CSS, etc.) on localhost.

Current RAM is 16GB and it's more than enough.

Feb 8, 2021
I just purchased a Corsair CX 550 M which will be here Thursday, so that's the first step towards the new build.

I probably don't need much more than about 350W but the price wasn't that much more.