[SOLVED] Looking for an SSD for old computer

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
I'm looking to buy a cheap SSD to revive an old laptop. After some search I narrowed my search to a Patriot Burst or a Samsung 860 evo/Crucial MX500.
Now, I'm not going to use it for gaming or write a lot on it. I'm going to give it to a friend that works on Excel and occasionally watch movies online. I want to be as durable as possible.
The problem is that while everyone of them has trim support, wear leveling, garbage collection, cache and even ecc, I'm not sure if Burst has S.M.A.R.T.

My questions are:
  • does Patriot Burst support S.M.A.R.T?
  • is it worth to go for a more expensive or shoud Burst work just fine for this needs?

Solution
  1. Yes, the Patriot Burst does support S.M.A.R.T.
  2. The Patriot Burst is fine for most users. For primarily Excel and movies, you don't need anything fancy. If you want more endurance though, the Samsung is the best option.

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
  1. Yes, the Patriot Burst does support S.M.A.R.T.
  2. The Patriot Burst is fine for most users. For primarily Excel and movies, you don't need anything fancy. If you want more endurance though, the Samsung is the best option.

Solution

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
Your reply was very useful. I have just one more question. I stumbled upon this review (the one left by "Ano") where the reply claimed it also had garbage collection, but I could't find anything in the datasheet.
So, does it support garbage collection? Or garbage collection is a feature every SSD supports? Thanks in advance.

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Every SSD has some form of garbage collection. Some are better than others, but it's not something you really have to worry about unless you seriously need a lot of endurance e.g. if you're using the drive for video editing or database stuff.