[SOLVED] Looking for an upgrade to an ASUS G751JT (Budget: $1500)

Boxtop5000

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Hello, everyone.

Six years ago, I came to this forum for advice on a new gaming laptop, and wound up purchasing an ASUS ROG G751JT system. While the G751JT has served me well, I feel it's time for an upgrade. While I can play most games at medium settings, there are a few newer games (namely Borderlands 3) that barely work even on low settings.

Not to mention that over the years, the laptop has sustained some damage. The screen itself is cracked (and would have been too tedious to replace by hand), the optical drive doesn't work, and the W key not only stopped working, but would occasionally lock up and start repeating like it was stuck. I've since purchased a portable external monitor and an external keyboard to mitigate the damage, but I think it's time I just buy a new system.

The specs of the ASUS are listed here, but to summarize:
Intel i7-4710Q, 4 cores @ 2.50 GHz
16GB RAM, DDR3L 1600 MHz
1 TB HDD
GeForce GTX 970M

1. What is your budget?
$1500 maximum. My old laptop cost around $1500, so I was hoping I could find something around that price or cheaper.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15" or 17". I can go either way.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1080 at the minimum.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement, or rather laptop replacement.

5. How much battery life do you need?
I plan to have the laptop plugged in at all times, so I don't care much about the battery life.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, most definitely. I would like to play games like Borderlands 3, No Man's Sky, Ghost Recon Breakpoint and Minecraft at high settings. I don't play CS:GO, COD, or Fortnite.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Well, I occasionally do some video editing for fun (Sony Vegas Pro 15), and I would like to be able to run the video preview at best quality. I generally run the preview at a lower quality due to frame skipping and lagging, but some editing mistakes only seem to show up in full-quality video.

I also use Affinity Photo for image editing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I was thinking 1 TB. I was planning on then partitioning the drive so I have the OS and other files on one partition and games on the other, like I do currently.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Amazon, Newegg, any manufacturer's website.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Hopefully for longer than my current one, but 6 or 7 years at a minimum.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
None. I have an external optical drive.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I don't really have a preference.

13. What country do you live in?
USA.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I would like a laptop with a screen that's easy to replace. The G751JT basically requires that I rip the whole laptop apart (unscrew the back panel, then pop off the keyboard) to even get to the screen's connectors. I hesitate to do extensive repairs on anything because I'm accident prone.

All that said, I've been thinking about a Lenovo Legion 5, but I'm still not 100% sure.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Solution
Found one other laptop that might hit the best price/performance https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/s...5-5515-laptop/gn5515esxus?view=configurations
I was looking at review of the HP Omen, MSI Pulse, and ASUS TUF and they all come with pretty weak screens. The linked Dell G15 might be short on SSD, however, there is a 2nd M.2 port on the laptop and it comes with 2 socketed RAM slots if you wanted to increase RAM. On top of that the top end Dell G15 has a 165Hz screen with 100% sRGB coverage. Most of the others were in the 45-60% range which makes colors muted and will hurt when it comes to photo/video editing.
Found one other laptop that might hit the best price/performance https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/s...5-5515-laptop/gn5515esxus?view=configurations
I was looking at review of the HP Omen, MSI Pulse, and ASUS TUF and they all come with pretty weak screens. The linked Dell G15 might be short on SSD, however, there is a 2nd M.2 port on the laptop and it comes with 2 socketed RAM slots if you wanted to increase RAM. On top of that the top end Dell G15 has a 165Hz screen with 100% sRGB coverage. Most of the others were in the 45-60% range which makes colors muted and will hurt when it comes to photo/video editing.

Solution

Boxtop5000

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Well, I do very little image (not photo)/video editing compared to gaming, so I'm not too concerned about a weak display.

I did also find this:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predato...nnel/dp/B08CNLPDXV?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

It has a RTX 2070 SUPER, and a pretty decent screen. Unfortunately, it seems that in order to upgrade the RAM/SSD, you have to remove the motherboard.

Still, you've given me a lot to think about, Jeremy. Thanks for your help.

Edit:
Also this one: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...b-ssd-moonlight-white/6452913.p?skuId=6452913

Last edited:
Well, I do very little image (not photo)/video editing compared to gaming, so I'm not too concerned about a weak display.

I did also find this:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predato...nnel/dp/B08CNLPDXV?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

It has a RTX 2070 SUPER, and a pretty decent screen. Unfortunately, it seems that in order to upgrade the RAM/SSD, you have to remove the motherboard.

Still, you've given me a lot to think about, Jeremy. Thanks for your help.

Edit:
Also this one: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...b-ssd-moonlight-white/6452913.p?skuId=6452913
The Asus Zephyrus is a very good laptop. I didn't recommend it earlier as you said your preference was 15.6"+.