Looking for assistance finding a new graphics card.

comesmason22

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
Hello! I'm looking for help finding a new mid-range graphics card for my PC. I have tried to look on the web myself, but I am new to the PC world and consequently do not know what I am doing. Everything seems so expensive, and I don't know if it is a good deal or not. I'm looking for a card that'll get me the most bang for my buck, and I'm also trying to keep it under $180, if at all possible. All of the parts currently inside my PC are acceptable for my gaming needs, except for of course, the graphics card. Right now, the current graphics card inside of my PC is the GT 730. Now I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure any Geforce Card without an "X" after the "GT" is petty, or at least I see that from my experience with the GT 730. Any guidance to help me find a website for graphics cards or if you know of a card that would be good for me, it would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a list of all the parts currently inside of my PC that I could find names for.
-MSI Gefore GT 730 2GB DDR3
-Intel Core I5-7400
-8 GB RAM
-1TB Hard Drive
-MSI Motherboard (Not sure which model, I've looked in many places and nothing leads to an answer)
-450W power supply
-If I missed anything important let me know and I will add it.

Model of the PC: CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Xtreme GXi10060W Gaming Desktop PC

Budget: $180

Extra info: My current graphics card is MSI, and so is my motherboard. I'm not sure if they need to be the same, but if they do, let me know.

Link to PC: https://www.walmart.com/ip/CYBERPOWERPC-Gamer-Xtreme-GXi10060W-Gaming-Desktop-PC-Intel-Core-i5-7400-Processor-8GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-Windows-10-Home-Monitor-Included/55349074#read-more

If I forgot some piece if information like the idiot I am, please ask me to include that. Thank You!

Solution
Looks like the best you're gonna get around that price point new is a 1050, not even the ti. You could consider looking for a used GTX 770 or R9 280X. It's old and the R9 won't run 4K at 60Hz because it doesn't have HDMI 2.0, but they still perform better than a 1050 by virtue of being more high end.

Vincent_73

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017
At the moment, gpu prices have nearly tripled due to cryptominers. Unless it's urgent, I would wait as if you waited, you could buy something way more powerful for the same price. If you still want to buy a graphics card now that I mentioned that, what kind of games do you play or would you want to play when upgraded and how many fps is acceptable for you ?

comesmason22

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017

Well, that's a damn shame that the cryptominers have raised the prices of graphics cards! I suppose I could wait a few more months before buying a new gpu. Anyways, the games that I play are Fallout 4 (runs at a max of 25 fps, its windowed, 720p, lowest settings), MGSV (Runs nicely on medium settings), Alien Isolation (Runs nicely on med-high settings), and finally GMOD (Runs ok at high settings). I would have a bigger game library, but when I look at the minimum requirements I am disappointed to see that I can't play the game with even the lowest settings. I purchased Fallout 4 to see if overclocking would help, which it did, but its still not going over 30 fps unless Im in a loading screen. To answer your second question, anything over 30fps is acceptable to me, with occasional dips below. Most games seem to want a GTX 550 or above, which I don't have.
Thank you!

GruntBlender

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017
Looks like the best you're gonna get around that price point new is a 1050, not even the ti. You could consider looking for a used GTX 770 or R9 280X. It's old and the R9 won't run 4K at 60Hz because it doesn't have HDMI 2.0, but they still perform better than a 1050 by virtue of being more high end.

Solution

comesmason22

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017

Thanks! I will look into the cards that you mentioned. I don't really mind not having 4k capable card, because my monitor runs at 1080p. Thanks again for the help!