Looking for/at Workstation(?) Graphics Card Options (CUDA vs OPENCL?)

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Unknown, Currently investigating options to see it a build will be feasible

BUDGET RANGE: $~1,500 (give or take. Any really, but looking for good bang-for-buck value. IOW, if a $1,000 card is just a tick lower in performance than a $3,000 card then I'm probably good with the $1,000 card. NO Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Video Editing (likely Adobe Premier)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: None

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Currently have a 3-year old Mac Pro (Dual XEON CPUs, etc.) Looking at options to replace the entire system.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Any. Amazon and Newegg are definite options.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 3840x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Alright, I know a lot of the responses make it look like I should be asking for system build advice, but I really want to look at GPU options alone right here/now. I'm currently looking at replacing a Mac Pro (3-years old) and wanting to see what options are available. The old system was pretty high end, but AppleCare has expired and the system has been having issues that Apple has been unable to resolve. That, however, is simply some backstory and largely irrelevant to the question at hand.

The old system has been used almost exclusively to run Final Cut Pro 7 (Apple's video editing software), and we are switching over to Adobe's video editing software, which opens up the option to get/build a PC as a replacement instead of having to purchase a new Mac. This should give an idea of what type/category of GPU performance I'm looking for. This will not be used in any way or at any time for gaming.

That said, I know both AMD and nVidia make "workstation" GPUs, which typically come with a rather hefty price tag. What I don't know, however, is whether these workstation GPUs actually handle video editing/encoding better than a desktop GPU would, or if they are typically designed with GPU Compute tasks like AutoCAD in mind.

So what graphics cards are out there that currently give high level performance in video editing/encoding tasks from AMD/nVidia? Or, if it is easier to answer, which benchmark charts should I be looking at to gauge such performance?

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Ok, we can probably scratch the OpenCL vs. CUDA portion of the question as it appears Adobe only utilizes CUDA.

So then the question becomes: How much performance difference is there between the 750Ti vs. 780/780Ti/Titan vs. K5000?