[SOLVED] Looking for case recommendations

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
I'm looking for a matx mid tower with venting in the front and I/O and buttons on the front or top as it will be sitting in a desk compartment. Don't care about a side window. I do prefer minimal design and still would like some style.
Kind of been eyeing the Corsair Carbide 275, NZXT H510, and Phanteks Eclipse P300A among some others. Just hoping to maybe get a few more recommendations before I pull the trigger.

Thanks

Solution
This is one of the best mATX options out there. And by "venting in the front" I assume you mean a mesh front panel for full flow intake? Because, front mounted fans should NEVER be "venting" anything. They should be intake fans, bringing air INTO the case, so that the rear and top exhaust fans can carry heat out, and the front, side or bottom fans can bring fresh ambient air in. Just to clarify, so there is no misunderstanding.

Fractal design is absolutely one of the top three case manufacturers in terms of quality, features, aesthetics and most importantly, customer service and support, if there should ever be anything wrong with the case or it's...
This is one of the best mATX options out there. And by "venting in the front" I assume you mean a mesh front panel for full flow intake? Because, front mounted fans should NEVER be "venting" anything. They should be intake fans, bringing air INTO the case, so that the rear and top exhaust fans can carry heat out, and the front, side or bottom fans can bring fresh ambient air in. Just to clarify, so there is no misunderstanding.

Fractal design is absolutely one of the top three case manufacturers in terms of quality, features, aesthetics and most importantly, customer service and support, if there should ever be anything wrong with the case or it's components.

Most of the top case designs these days will be either Fractal Design, Corsair or Phanteks, with a smattering of other models from other manufacturers here and there that are pretty good like a few from Lian Li, Be Quiet, Cougar, Silverstone and even a few decent models from Rosewill. But for mATX options, that is probably one of the best right now.

The H510 is not a microATX (mATX) case, it is a mid tower ATX case. The Corsair Carbide 275r is a mid tower ATX case as well. In fact, all of them are, because the P300A is as well. None of those are micro ATX cases, so are you SURE you are looking for an mATX case, or just a mid tower ATX case, because the differences are pretty big, not least of which is the fact that an mATX case cannot support a standard sized ATX motherboard, only microATX and usually also mini ITX motherboards.

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
I have a matx motherboard so no worries putting into an atx mid tower.
I did also consider the Fractal Design Meshify. The Focus does have a good price point but I'm not too stoked on the drive bay cutouts as I don't have any.

And yeah by venting I just meant front intakes.

Also trying to keep it under $100CAD but I would go over if it was the "right" case for me.

Thanks for the reply

All these recommendations are great, but, the problem with them is they lack insight. What really needs to be known is what kind and model of CPU cooler you plan to run, and how many case fans you are intending to have installed? That will answer a lot of FUNCTIONAL questions, like how tall does the support for CPU cooler height need to be, or does it need to support 280mm radiators that are extra thick, or will it support a 140mm rear exhaust since most cases only support smaller, noisier 120mm fans in that location.

These are all things that would be good to know and to consider before making any choices. Also, what motherboard, and how many fan headers, so that you will know, based on the planned number of fans, whether you might need or want a case with an integrated fan controller hub, if the motherboard lacks enough headers for the configuration. Etc. Etc.

Reactions: Allen_Walker

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
All these recommendations are great, but, the problem with them is they lack insight. What really needs to be known is what kind and model of CPU cooler you plan to run, and how many case fans you are intending to have installed? That will answer a lot of FUNCTIONAL questions, like how tall does the support for CPU cooler height need to be, or does it need to support 280mm radiators that are extra thick, or will it support a 140mm rear exhaust since most cases only support smaller, noisier 120mm fans in that location.

These are all things that would be good to know and to consider before making any choices. Also, what motherboard, and how many fan headers, so that you will know, based on the planned number of fans, whether you might need or want a case with an integrated fan controller hub, if the motherboard lacks enough headers for the configuration. Etc. Etc.
I was pretty much going to do the research based on the recommendations, and maybe find a cool case I missed. My needs are pretty basic and most cases nowadays seem to have good enough airflow and rad support as well. What you say makes lots of sense too so here it goes.

For the CPU cooler I have a Deep Cool Gammaxx 400 (156mm) mounted on an ASRock B450M Pro4. The Mobo has 5 fan headers including the CPU cooler.
I already have four Pure Wings 2 120mm PWM fans. No need for a rad.
In case it matter the CPU is a R5 2600, and GPU is a RX570 4G, I plan to upgrade the GPU to a mid range BigNavi once it becomes available.
PSU is an Antec Earthwatts Pro 650W ATX.

The space it needs to fit into is 9 1/2" x 25" that's why side intakes are pretty much a write off but plenty of space for a top exhaust.

I'm pretty much going to keep the 2 intake 2 exhaust config I currently have, although I could easily add more fans if need be. I want a PSU shroud although it's not a deal breaker. Like I mentioned before the main things I need is front intakes as the sides might be choked off and buttons and I/O on the top or front.
Not much need for windows or RBG. Also silent is good.

No, you are right on with the configuration. Two front intake and two exhaust, being the rear and top-rear (You don't want to use a middle or front exhaust fan location on top if you are running an air cooler) are a good configuration for case cooling for just about any level of hardware. I see no reason to change that even when you upgrade graphics cards or CPUs. Side fans are an unnecessary lameness anyhow. I wouldn't own a modern case with a side fan location.

The gammaxx 400 is a good cooler, very good, for the price, and is a better choice than the 212 EVO in the budget range anyhow. In fact, I have one on the bench right now on a build I'm doing and I have a Noctua 140mm NF-A15 strapped to it, and it damn near performs as good as my NH-U14S with a bigger fan on it, plus the fact that it sits lower than the heatsink fins and memory, sitting right behind the A2 DIMM, has dropped the memory temps on those DIMMs by about four degrees as well.

So anyhow, with a cooler that short just about any mATX or mid tower case will have plenty of clearance.

I have to agree, the newly released 4000D airflow looks to be a very good option that ticks all the right boxes. Plus, Corsair is known for good quality cases anyhow.

But I also definitely think the Fractal design Define C, Be Quiet pure base 500, 600 and 500dx and Cougar MX-330 are all worth looking at as well.

If you were willing to increase the budget, the go to case for silence and quality plus great features would easily be the Fractal design Define R6 or S2. Both of which are available with or without side tempered glass panels and with or without front meshify panel, listed as meshify models.

Reactions: GorillaMonsoon

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
I have to agree, the newly released 4000D airflow looks to be a very good option that ticks all the right boxes. Plus, Corsair is known for good quality cases anyhow.

But I also definitely think the Fractal design Define C, Be Quiet pure base 500, 600 and 500dx and Cougar MX-330 are all worth looking at as well.

If you were willing to increase the budget, the go to case for silence and quality plus great features would easily be the Fractal design Define R6 or S2. Both of which are available with or without side tempered glass panels and with or without front meshify panel, listed as meshify models.
Thanks, those all look like they would work really well. I'm just torn between cheap and hidden from view or getting something I might want to keep displayed. It would almost be a shame to keep most of those hidden, although more desk real estate would be nice too.

I think the Phanteks P300A might still be in the lead looks wise tho.

dimtodim

Reputable
I have a matx motherboard so no worries putting into an atx mid tower.
I did also consider the Fractal Design Meshify. The Focus does have a good price point but I'm not too stoked on the drive bay cutouts as I don't have any.

And yeah by venting I just meant front intakes.

Also trying to keep it under $100CAD but I would go over if it was the "right" case for me.

Thanks for the reply
I own Fractal Design Meshify and its great pc case with good air flow quality dust filters and a lot spece

There are several different Meshify cases. Saying Meshify is like saying I own a Chevy, or a Ford.

There are Meshify S2, Meshify C, and both styles of Meshify come with options in solid or TG side panel. So, really doesn't tell us much to just say I have a "meshify" case.

The Meshify C is about 119 bucks. It's a very good case. It would be worth stretching the budget by another twenty bucks. The 275R is ok, but that is all it is, just "ok". The P300A is pretty much just ok as well, but both will certainly do the job.

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
There are several different Meshify cases. Saying Meshify is like saying I own a Chevy, or a Ford.

There are Meshify S2, Meshify C, and both styles of Meshify come with options in solid or TG side panel. So, really doesn't tell us much to just say I have a "meshify" case.
I think the meshify c mini is the cheapest one. Still comes in at $150 Canadian snow pesos.

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
I think I'm going to go with the Corsair 4000D. It's only $109 on their website and it supposed to have free shipping on orders over $99, but for some reason it's showing as $60... Anyway I'll contact them and see whats up.

Thanks for the help everyone

That's not a bad choice at all, and I really like the fact that it is Corsair, full mesh front panel and has a good amount of room on the right hand side under the motherboard tray for cable management and storage, plus drive mounting locations there for drive storage that is out of the way and hidden. A good choice I'm sure. Good luck Gorilla.

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
Bummer, with the 4000D the maximum CPU height is only 170mm, I don't really want to go back to the stock Wraith or buy another one. Guess that ones out.
Maaaan, the Meshify C is the same for height. This might be more difficult than I thought.

Bummer, with the 4000D the maximum CPU height is only 170mm, I don't really want to go back to the stock Wraith or buy another one. Guess that ones out.
Maaaan, the Meshify C is the same for height. This might be more difficult than I thought.
What do you mean? That accomodates pretty much ANY air cooler you could possibly want to install. Even the Noctua NH-D15 is only a165mm. There are only like four or five air coolers that are taller than 170mm anyhow, one is the Cooler Master master air maker 8, then the Phanteks PH-TC14PE and Phanteks PH-TC14PEBK, plus the Core Frozr XL. That's pretty much it. Everything else is on the menu. Height is not a problem with any of those cases really unless you planned to use one of those four coolers.

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
What do you mean? That accomodates pretty much ANY air cooler you could possibly want to install. Even the Noctua NH-D15 is only a165mm. There are only like four or five air coolers that are taller than 170mm anyhow, one is the Cooler Master master air maker 8, then the Phanteks PH-TC14PE and Phanteks PH-TC14PEBK, plus the Core Frozr XL. That's pretty much it. Everything else is on the menu. Height is not a problem with any of those cases really unless you planned to use one of those four coolers.
Ugh I had a brainfart, I thought my 156 was 256 for some reason...Ignore that post

mact

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007

Fractal design is absolutely one of the top three case manufacturers in terms of quality, features, aesthetics and most importantly, customer service and support, if there should ever be anything wrong with the case or it's components.

Most of the top case designs these days will be either Fractal Design, Corsair or Phanteks, with a smattering of other models from other manufacturers here and there that are pretty good like a few from Lian Li, Be Quiet, Cougar, Silverstone and even a few decent models from Rosewill. But for mATX options, that is probably one of the best right now.

The H510 is not a microATX (mATX) case, it is a mid tower ATX case. The Corsair Carbide 275r is a mid tower ATX case as well. In fact, all of them are, because the P300A is as well. None of those are micro ATX cases, so are you SURE you are looking for an mATX case, or just a mid tower ATX case, because the differences are pretty big, not least of which is the fact that an mATX case cannot support a standard sized ATX motherboard, only microATX and usually also mini ITX motherboards.

I recently built a Fractal Design Define R5 - Mid Tower Computer Case - ATX -

It was pricier than I was really looking for, but As soon as I laid hands on the thing, I was glad I'd bought it. It cost $120 from Amazon. But like the Volvos and SAABs of 30 years ago (when they were really Swedish cars, not mongrels) these are well crafted. Even a place for a couple SSD's under the mobo tray!

There was actually room to get my hands in there to plug/unplug cables, reach drives, and more room for fans that I needed.

I used an ASUS X570 mobo for a Ryzen 3700X.

Solution