[SOLVED] Looking for compatible NVME drive

Mloc

Honorable
Oct 8, 2016
My wife bought this laptop... https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-a...gb-ssd-charcoal-black/6397237.p?skuId=6397237..

I can't find what type of motherboard it has in order to upgrade the NVME drive, cause it just stopped working and I can't seem to figure out how to get the data off of it, she wasn't happy.
So I'm not sure what type of ssd I can upgrade to, there's ones with 2 notches, (which is what it came with) or the one with 1 notch...

This is the SSD that came with the laptop.

I know this is the place to ask.

Solution
My wife bought this laptop... https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-a...gb-ssd-charcoal-black/6397237.p?skuId=6397237..

I can't find what type of motherboard it has in order to upgrade the NVME drive, cause it just stopped working and I can't seem to figure out how to get the data off of it, she wasn't happy.
So I'm not sure what type of ssd I can upgrade to, there's ones with 2 notches, (which is what it came with) or the one with 1 notch...

The SN520 model number on the existing drive tells you that it IS an NVMe drive. Any NVMe drive will work. A Samsung 970 EVO plus or an Intel 660p...

kanewolf

Titan

The SN520 model number on the existing drive tells you that it IS an NVMe drive. Any NVMe drive will work. A Samsung 970 EVO plus or an Intel 660p would be good choices.

Reactions: Mloc
Solution

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
SN520 is PCIE3.0 X2 drive... that is why you see 2 notches. I doubt your laptop only supports up to PCIE3X2. However if it does, your new PCIE3X4 drive might be slower than advertised. (which does not mean you shouldn't get PCIE3 X4 drive as suggested above)

I don't think there is NVMe M.2 socket that only takes 2 notches up to PCIE3 X2. (maybe you might want to inspect your M.2 socket before ordering one?? just to make sure)

Last edited:

Mloc

Honorable
Oct 8, 2016
The SN520 model number on the existing drive tells you that it IS an NVMe drive. Any NVMe drive will work. A Samsung 970 EVO plus or an Intel 660p would be good choices.

Right, she wants to go with the Samsung SSD, its ordered, I'll let y you know how it goes, thanks folks!!!

Happy wife, the more beer I'm able to drink, lol.

One more thing, would you guys recommend Spinrite as a shot at recovering data from the older SSD? Just as a last resort...I`m reading mixed reviews about it...

Last edited: