[SOLVED] Looking for Component Upgrade Recommendations

kw3130

Prominent
Jul 26, 2019
I built my first PC a few years ago and am now looking to upgrade some of its components. Below is a link to the list of my parts. What are some recommendations for which components I should upgrade and what I could replace them with? Thanks in advance for the help!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Js6YGc

Solution
8700k/8086k are intrinsically the same cpu, but the 8086k was a limited edition that's basically a tweaked 8700k, runs a little better yet cooler.

The 2070 is out of production, and severely overpriced for what it is. It's replaced by the 2070Super, which not only is considerably better all around, it's also cheaper. The 2060Super is just about as good as the older 2070, but considerably cheaper.

Psu: non, semi, full modular is up to you, there's decent versions in all three types. Each has its own quirks, bonuses, restrictions. For most builds, semi or full is the same thing, you are going to use the hardwired cables anyway.

Meshify-C, great case for airflow, good quality too. 👍
I built my first PC a few years ago and am now looking to upgrade some of its components. Below is a link to the list of my parts. What are some recommendations for which components I should upgrade and what I could replace them with? Thanks in advance for the help!

I think you have enough memory and are set pretty well on drives.
I'd do a CPU upgrade.
There are much faster CPUs that could work with that MB and then you could up the GPU.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z390-A-PRO#support-cpu

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on your budget.
You have capability to upgrade to i7-8700k/8086k

You have 144Hz monitor, so capability of upgrading to rtx2070 to get full benefits.

You have a low end psu, that'd be first on the list to actually upgrade, after thinking about cpu/gpu changes.

You didn't give a budget for your upgrades so I'll move on without that. You could move up to an 8700K (no cooler included) but there's an issue with your chassis(case) in that the CPU cooler height is limited to 154mm height, limiting your cooling options to some degree. The 8700 (non-k) comes with an Intel cooler that would work, albeit not the best, which would move you from a 4-core/4-thread to a 6-core/12-thread CPU, sans overclock, and would work with the chassis you have now.

You'll certainly need a better quality power supply than you have now and you should do this before a GPU upgrade or at the same time. Your 1080p 144hz. monitor could do well with an RTX 2060 Super. I don't see much point going beyond that for 1080p. A chassis upgrade would give you better airflow and more freedom for upgrades on a CPU with tower or liquid cooling. Check your bios before a CPU change to confirm support. Just some ideas to kick around.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zmgpXv

Last edited:

kw3130

Prominent
Jul 26, 2019
Thank you all very much for the fast answers. Just to summarize the responses:

CPU: i7-8700k
GPU: RTX 2070/RTX 2060 Super
PSU: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case

Let me know if anyone has any other comments/suggestions to add on. If not, I'll start looking into those suggested upgrades. Thanks again!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
8700k/8086k are intrinsically the same cpu, but the 8086k was a limited edition that's basically a tweaked 8700k, runs a little better yet cooler.

The 2070 is out of production, and severely overpriced for what it is. It's replaced by the 2070Super, which not only is considerably better all around, it's also cheaper. The 2060Super is just about as good as the older 2070, but considerably cheaper.

Psu: non, semi, full modular is up to you, there's decent versions in all three types. Each has its own quirks, bonuses, restrictions. For most builds, semi or full is the same thing, you are going to use the hardwired cables anyway.

Solution

kw3130

Prominent
Jul 26, 2019

Great advice, thank you! I'm not very in touch with the components market, so all of the information was great to know!

TRENDING THREADS