Looking for cooler for GF 6800

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Hi,

I have an older PC at home which uses an AGP Geforce 6800. The stock heatsink's fan is running all the time 100% and is making a whole lot of noise. I'm looking for another cooling solution that can cool it without making noise. The card will not be overclocked, so I thought it could be cooled passively maybe. Someone has any ideas?

Thanks

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Have you tried to clean out the fan and heatsink? I found that there can be alot of dust trapped between the heatsink and fan. What brand is the 6800?

If that is the case you can just clean it, and lower the fan speed if it has controls for it.

Typical passive cooler is arond $20 or more.

Note, I have a 7800GS and I think like the 6800 it was really a PCIe video card that has a chip that converted the interface to AGP, so alot of VGA coolers will not fit.

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
It's an asus gfx. I think there is not much dust in the heatsink. I guess 4 years ago, gfx fans mostly ran at 100% of their speed out of the box.
Did some research and i think the zalman vf700 cu looks like a good cooler. It controllable fan speeds and can be set to almost inaudible. Performance is good too.