[SOLVED] Looking for cpu advice for my rig.

jmortega94

Reputable
Oct 3, 2020
I'm building a ryzen system for gaming, streaming as well as video editing and some 3d work. I just wanted to know if could get good performance out of the Ryzen 2600 or 2600 x variant. I know the 3600 is out now and I'm not sure it's in my budget at the moment. I just wanted to know if the 2600 was still a good choice as it's cheaper and is still a 6 core 12 thread cpu. Any advice is much appreciated.

Solution
The 2600 is definitely not a bad CPU. But whether or not it is the right choice partially depends on your graphics card. A weaker CPU can throttle high end graphics card performance slightly. A 2600 is competent for gaming on a budget, but the difference between the 2600 and the 3600 for gaming is huge, especially when noting that the latter is just $40-50 more in price.

Additionally, when doing video editing and streaming, there would be a noticeable improvement. Take a look at this comparison.

Keep in mind that single core performance is most critical for gaming, while multi-core is critical for your other needs.

Also keep in mind that Ryzen is about to announce their 4000 series processors in a mere 4 days. After the...

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
The 2600 is definitely not a bad CPU. But whether or not it is the right choice partially depends on your graphics card. A weaker CPU can throttle high end graphics card performance slightly. A 2600 is competent for gaming on a budget, but the difference between the 2600 and the 3600 for gaming is huge, especially when noting that the latter is just $40-50 more in price.

Additionally, when doing video editing and streaming, there would be a noticeable improvement. Take a look at this comparison.

Keep in mind that single core performance is most critical for gaming, while multi-core is critical for your other needs.

Also keep in mind that Ryzen is about to announce their 4000 series processors in a mere 4 days. After the announcement, a release is expected in a matter of, possibly, two weeks after the announcement. That means that a 4600 CPU is about to be released, and will undoubtedly be in the price range of the 2600-3600. The performance jump between generations is expected to be far higher than between previous generations.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmortega94
Solution
I'm building a ryzen system for gaming, streaming as well as video editing and some 3d work. I just wanted to know if could get good performance out of the Ryzen 2600 or 2600 x variant. I know the 3600 is out now and I'm not sure it's in my budget at the moment. I just wanted to know if the 2600 was still a good choice as it's cheaper and is still a 6 core 12 thread cpu. Any advice is much appreciated.
What video card are you pairing it with? and what motherboard?

2600 is still quite good, and 2600X even better.

Reactions: jmortega94