Looking for Cpu upgrade

Shreyash_1

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
Hello
My cpu i5 6600k is bottelnecking my gpu 1070ti , some games where the cpu process reaches 100% where card process is 5%.
Other games like overwatch cpu is 90% and gpu 60%.
Is this a good reason to buy a new cpu a 7thgen (i7 7700k) my motherboard being a z270f hardly 4months old.
Or do I buy a new motherboard and cpu combo in a couple of months from now.?
Any help appreciated thanks

Solution

Unless Intel's numbers are off, according to ark.intel.com, the specfications for both the i5-6600K and the i7-7700K report to be the same TDP of 91 W with the same thermal solution specification of 130 W. Max temp for both is 100°C as well

stdragon

Admirable
Overwatch shouldn't be using that much CPU. At least, when I played it a few months ago. Are you sure that it's the Overwatch game process that's using that much CPU?

If true, perhaps it's time to upgrade from an i5 to an i7 to get more multi-threaded capability. IMHO, I don't think you need another motherboard unless you really want to.

Even though the i7 7700k will end the bottleneck, I wouldn't go for it.
The i7 7700k runs on the hot side but the i5 6600K runs cooler.
You should overclock your i5 6600K and later on get a new CPU and mobo.
You could get to 4.6GHz easy and if you have a good one you could go even higher and still run cooler that i7 7700k.

ZexionTM

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016

Yes ... I would do the same.
Wait a few month (or better years) and upgrade then. It is not worth it at the moment in my opinion.

Shreyash_1

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
But will my air Cooler be enough for overclocking my cpu, ? My cooler being a hyper 212led , and psu being a Corsair cx650?? Will this be sufficient, yes it was overwatch process but it stays that way for sometime. Unlike rainbow six siege which keeps spiking

stdragon

Admirable

Unless Intel's numbers are off, according to ark.intel.com, the specfications for both the i5-6600K and the i7-7700K report to be the same TDP of 91 W with the same thermal solution specification of 130 W. Max temp for both is 100°C as well

I have yet to find an official number because Cooler Master hasn't published it. But from searching online, the best I could find is that your Hyper 212 LED unit has a cooling capacity of 180 W. If true, you have double the capacity than what the CPU is capable of. Now to be honest, if you were to OC that i7 with increased frequency and voltage, that CPU number is going to go well beyond 91W. So, you have some head-room, but in theory, might run out of head-room from thermal limits. So stock, safe. OC.. that's "iffy".

Solution

The Hyper 212 evo can handle the i5 6600k up to 4.8 and 1.35v. ...higher than that you need a better cooler.
In contrast the 212 evo might not be able to keep up with the i7 7700k at full load.

150w for 212 LED

http://www.coolermaster.com/tdp-and-socket-compatibility/