[SOLVED] Looking for fast ssd

Solution
All ssd devices are about equally fast in the metric that matters most, namely small random I/O
M.2 is a size format, it comes in both sata and pcie flavors.
PCIE shows impressive sequential performance compared to sata. perhaps 5x faster.
It is also more expensive.
But that is for sequential benchmarks. In actual usage, very little activity is sequentially related.
If budget is an issue, you can buy more capacity for your dollar with a conventional 2.5" sata drive.
I think you could buy a 1tb samsung 860 evo for your budget.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 17, 2020
This is my current Setup:

Asus Z170-A Mainboard 1151
i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz with Dark Rock Pro 4
Corsair 16GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 1070

Would need a new MB I think cause it doesnt really support M2 i think. I also would add another 16GB or more of RAM. My Budget would be like 1,5k to 2k. Also got a large be quiet Case and Psu. Want to change Psu to a modular one.

USAFRet

Titan
This is my current Setup:

Asus Z170-A Mainboard 1151
i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz with Dark Rock Pro 4
Corsair 16GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 1070

Would need a new MB I think cause it doesnt really support M2 i think. I also would add another 16GB or more of RAM. My Budget would be like 1,5k to 2k. Also got a large be quiet Case and Psu. Want to change Psu to a modular one.
I wouldn't change the motherboard just to be able to utilize an M.2 NVMe drive.
But that's just me.

Also, "adding" 16GB RAM to the current 16GB may not work. Mixing RAM is always a crapshoot.

Change only if you're going to do a whole platform change.

All ssd devices are about equally fast in the metric that matters most, namely small random I/O
M.2 is a size format, it comes in both sata and pcie flavors.
PCIE shows impressive sequential performance compared to sata. perhaps 5x faster.
It is also more expensive.
But that is for sequential benchmarks. In actual usage, very little activity is sequentially related.
If budget is an issue, you can buy more capacity for your dollar with a conventional 2.5" sata drive.
I think you could buy a 1tb samsung 860 evo for your budget.

Solution