[SOLVED] Looking for general help/advice with my pc performance

Mar 19, 2019
My pc specs for reference

Hi all,

I ordered parts and put a computer together about 5 years ago or more. I've used it to play mostly csgo and more recently, osu! and other non-graphically demanding games. I just recently wanted to upgrade my monitor to 144hz and thought my r9 290 gpu and i5 4670 cpu would be fine for it, and got the viewsonic xg2401. osu! runs fine and the 144hz is great for that game, but ever since this monitor upgrade, I experience lag/choppiness in csgo. This got me to do some more research and thinking about my pc set up. I was trying to figure out what upgrades I need in order to be able to play at least csgo in 144hz, and more demanding games like Monster Hunter World and the Division 2.

So, upon checking out my pc parts in a pcpartpicker list, I'm seeing this warning: "MSI - 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard and Intel - Core i5-4670K 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor are not compatible."

My question is: have I been using incompatible parts this entire time (5 years)? Could I be getting better performance out of my CPU/GPU with a different motherboard? How have I not noticed, and could this have caused any issues/damage with my motherboard or CPU? Is this part of the reason I'm not seeing good performance with my 144hz monitor, or do I simply need a better GPU or CPU (or different mobo) for 144hz? I was hoping to upgrade my GPU or CPU and be able to play newer games in 144hz, but now I feel like I might need to just upgrade everything and/or build an entirely new pc.

Thank you for reading. I really feel like a lost noob and I really appreciate any insight here.

Thanks in advance.

(Side note: all my drivers are up to date, I do have 144hz setting enabled in Windows, and I have freesync enabled in the monitor settings and I am using a proper displayport cable)

*BIG EDIT: I had the wrong MOBO on my parts list somehow. Is actually ASUS Z87 PRO LGA 1150. I updated the list to reflect this. But, in any case, I still have poor performance in even a game like CS:GO with my 144hz monitor.

Last edited:
Solution
You certainly have not. That motherboard is AMD, and that processor is Intel. Getting them to work together at all would be an outstanding feat. You probably misidentified your motherboard somehow.

Edit: Also, that setup should be able to run CS:GO at 144FPS. Make sure your cables are connected to the GPU, not the MOBO, and... how much RAM do you have?

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
You certainly have not. That motherboard is AMD, and that processor is Intel. Getting them to work together at all would be an outstanding feat. You probably misidentified your motherboard somehow.

Edit: Also, that setup should be able to run CS:GO at 144FPS. Make sure your cables are connected to the GPU, not the MOBO, and... how much RAM do you have?

Last edited:
Solution
Mar 19, 2019

Oh oops, you are correct. My MOBO is actually ASUS Z87 PRO LGA 1150 Motherboard.
I have 8gb RAM, and the cables are indeed plugged into my video card.

TRENDING THREADS