Looking for good point & shoot for action in low light

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRISSIECAT

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
I would like to get a good point and shoot for taking a lot of photos of my husbands band usually in low light inside clubs. My price range is $400 to $500 (or less if something is good) I currently use a Canon Powershot SX60 and it isn't that great. I get a lot of blurry shots. Thanks!!!

Solution
First is the blur because of the subject moving or you moving? If it is because of you moving, you need to use some support. Small monopod or something.

Your best bet will be to get a low cost SLR body and a fixed focal length lens. You can still get a 50mm f1.8 (used to be standard lens on film cameras) inexpensively.

A point and shoot is a compromise in every way. It won't be a great low light fast action choice.

kanewolf

Titan
First is the blur because of the subject moving or you moving? If it is because of you moving, you need to use some support. Small monopod or something.

Your best bet will be to get a low cost SLR body and a fixed focal length lens. You can still get a 50mm f1.8 (used to be standard lens on film cameras) inexpensively.

A point and shoot is a compromise in every way. It won't be a great low light fast action choice.

Solution

CHRISSIECAT

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015

CHRISSIECAT

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
Thank you! Actually the blur is from subject moving - people playing guitar and drums. I'm pretty steady. Darn, I was hoping not to go SLR but looks like I might have to get quality band shots I want. I use them for facebook and also for band flyers, but clubs want me to send good quality action photos but mine of course are mostly blurry. I had an SLR when I was in my 20's a long time ago lol. Do you have a recommendation for an inexpensive SLR brand? I was thinking of spending in the $400 or so range. Thanks so much kanewolf.

kanewolf

Titan
See if you can get a Canon Rebel body only -- http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-Digital-Camera-Imaging/dp/B005LW580O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1435859187&sr=8-3&keywords=canon+rebel+t3i+body+only

Then get a 50mm f1.8 lens -- http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-STM-Lens/dp/B00X8MRBCW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435859243&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+50mm+1.8

You can always do flash shots during sound check to get band member action. You could also work with the lighting guy to get specific high brightness points during the show to take pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.