Looking for good professional / gaming card

G

Can someone help me out here? I'm looking to buy a card for mainly 3d work (Softimage) but something that I can also use to run Direct 3d games.

It looks like it's between an Oxygen/Wildcat card and the Nvidia Quadro DCC.

Does anyone have any good insight into this?

G

The wildcat is superior for opengl work such as Softimage, but will not run direct 3d games at all. Though they will run open gl. Note that the better wildcats require an agp pro slot. You motherboard may not be compatible.

The nvidia quadro boards are decent for open gl work, though most people will pefer the wildcats, but you will still be able to run most of your games fine.

The high end oxygen boards such as the 420 will run direct 3d games, though not at impressive framerates. Their open gl is not bad, but at the price of the 420 you could get a better card.

Also consider one of the fire gl cards.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I believe ATi has a FireGL 8800. Should be pretty good. Dual Head will help alot when making Huge OpenGL rendering projects.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Quadro Pro is the same chip and layout as the GTS Pro. Many poeple have turned their GTS's into Quadros by changing the location of two transistors on the PCB. If you know someone who will garuntee their work, you could take the GTS Pro to them and have the work done to make it into the Quadro Pro. Even after paying labor your saving hundreds of dollars. You can afford to screw up about 8 GTS Pros in the conversion process before you actually match the price the Quadro Pro would have cost you.

Back to you Tom...

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Get a GF3 and convert it to Quadro DCC. It's a resistor flip. I'll give u the details on how to do it if u ask. The Ati Fire GL series is really nice, but bad for gaming (makes me wish there are 2 agp ports- 1 for a fire gl and another for a Gf3-> Quadro DCC).

When I rule the world, Apple will only mean the fruit.