Looking for good quality but not super expensive 1440p gaming monitor

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xDarkxIdealsx

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
I was planning to go for 4k gaming, but after already buying a Gigabyte G1 super overclock GTX970 and planning on going 2 way sli with them, i found out that even the 980 in SLI has trouble hitting more than 35-40fps at 4k in some games like crysis 3, metro 2033 etc.. So if even with sli 970's i'll only be getting 30-35fps i'm beginning to doubt whether it's worth it. I was considering maybe selling my 970 and getting like an R9 295x2 or something but i'm not much of an AMD fan.

So my backup plan was to go for a higher quality 1440p IPS monitor rather than settling for a cheaper TN 4k monitor which some people are saying might actually look better than 4k overall.

But i'm having trouble finding the kind of monitor i would want, i'm looking for preferably 27" or bigger, IPS monitor with decent response time. I was thinking of getting something with solid picture quality like an OLED 1440p monitor or a 1440p IPS with G-sync, but i can't seem to find either with the exception of the ASUS ROG PG278Q, which is a 1440p G-Sync monitor, but i can't seem to find much info on the refresh rate, if it's IPS or TN etc.. all i know is it claims 1ms gtg response, g-sync, 1440p and 16.7mil color which makes me think it's IPS but it's running anwhere from $800 to $1,000 for it! And there's no way i'd be able to afford that after spending nearly $1,500 to upgarde my rig. I'm buying a 2nd GTX970 to go with my 1st, an I7-4790K, a z97 mobo (thinking either gigabyte G1 sniper or Asus Maximus Hero VII) a Corsair 760t full tower case, a Corsair RM850w PSU, a 1tb HDD and 256GB SSD, 8gb Corsair vengeance pro or dominator platinum ram (hate the look of rip jaw ram) so you can see that i'm already pushing a tall budget.

-Lone-

Admirable
My specs are at the bottom right corner of my comments, but you do need 970 SLI if you wanna get like 60 fps with 1440p with no problems. I'm not sure if you should get that now or wait, right now I'm with AMD cards, the only Nvidia card I've ever had was the gtx 780, so I'm not really experienced with their cards. But the 295x2 is also my first AMD card ever just like the gtx 780 was my first Nvidia csrd, lol. As for if you'd notice any difference with a z97 or x99 build for editing, you might if you do really heavy editing, but small to medium, you probably won't notice much. I got x99 because it sounds cool :) but also because since I have the best GPU, might as well get the best of everything else, but it is pretty unnecessary :D

-Lone-

Admirable
Not really, at the beginning I have only planned to order 1 of them, but ended up with 2 just because it seems cool and it looks cool, hahaha. I was planning to get 64GB of the RAM I have, but G.skill told me it wouldn't be recommended to mix 2 model of RAM together, as in 2 kits, even if it is the same exact model. So I Got 32GB instead and got a 2nd 1TB SSD instead, not that I need either of them, I'll probably only use a max of 8GB of RAM and 300 GB of storage memory :D

Edit: We were just talking about looks, mostly anyways :)

xDarkxIdealsx

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
Doh! stupid lol, didn't see those specs right in my face. And yeah i like X99 too, i liked that ASUS X99 with it's white color and everything. but i saw some build pics of the asus formula VII with the corsair dominator filling all 4 slots and that looks very cool as well. That sucks about the SLI, i really want to do watercooling on my GPU but like an idiot i just got the highest clocked 970 i could find that had the best air cooler since at the time i wasn't planning on getting a new rig. If i had known that the only full card waterblocks are for EVGA reference ones i would've definitely gotten that instead...

I was looking at the R9 295x2 as well, but i really do like some of the nvidia features like MFAA and whatnot so i'm torn. I just love the nvidia classified cards, always have, and i'm practically drooling over that GTX980 Hydro Copper with the beautiful waterblock it has, it just sucks that it's only dual 6 pin rather than dual 8 pin and doesn't have the LN2 bios like the classified 980 does. I can't really seem to find anywhere that benchmarked the 980 classified and hydro copper against the other 980 and 970 gpu models.

xDarkxIdealsx

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

oh don't worry about it, you aren't disturbing anything, more discussion is a good thing even if it's not on topic. hell none of us are on topic anymore lol. this was a question about monitors not chipset and gpu, but who cares right?

I've seen a couple people with dual 295x2's, it's pretty insane. I'd love to get my hands on one of the ASUS ARES III R9 295X2's, has a full custom ARES III EK waterblock instead of the asetek radiator/fan setup, and even higher clock speeds, lower temps etc.. they only made 500 in the world.

-Lone-

Admirable
I just like liquid cooling cards and I like the red from AMD, it's like the kind of red that means like hardcore and deep gaming, although I don't do either of those, just super heavy graphics hahahaha. When I get my pc in my room tomorrow perhaps I'll take a picture, but my camera on my Samsung Galaxy S5 is cracked, so I'll probably use my tablet camera which kinda sucks, but it's better than a blurry picture. I'll show you my own Christmas tree :D

I have that card in a megathread I've created, if you've seen it.

xDarkxIdealsx

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

The ARES III? GOD DAMN you are lucky to have that lol. I'm really considering what i can do with my build. If i go with that formula motherboard, and the swiftech liquid cooler/reservoir etc.. combo and either buy the EVGA 980 classified and hope that EK releases a waterblock for it soon or get the 980 hydro copper and hope it's as good as the classified even though it doesn't have the dual 8 pin pci and no custom bios, then i can sell my old rig with i5 3570k and gigabyte 970 for around $500 since they'd only have to add a hard drive, disc drive, and PSU, then my total cost for an I7-4790K, ASUS Formula viI mobo, 16gb corsair dominator plat., swiftech h240x cooler, and the classified or hydro copper would only cost me $1,900 or $2,000 depending on which GPU i got, and after subtracting the $500 for the old stuff i sell i'd only pay $1,500. Then adding two 500gb SSD's for RAID 0 and a coolermaster V850 PSU i'd still only be at $2,000. ANd i can take the $250 less that i would've had to spend on DDR4 RAM and the I7 5820K 6 core and buy watercooling tubing, fittings etc.. with it.

what kind of FPS increase do you think i would get going from a cheapo $70 Asrock H61 mobo that wouldn't let me OC my cpu, I5 3570K at stock 3.5ghz, Gigabyte gtx970 (1,329mhz boost) with air cooling, and 1333mhz adata ram to the $300 ASUS Maximus Formula VII z97 mobo with the copperchill motherboard watercooling, I7 4790K at 4.6ghz watercooled, and either a classified 980 or hydro copper 980 (1,397mhz boost) waterblocked and cooled and overclocked?

xDarkxIdealsx

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

New one? You mean the one listed in your sig with the 5930k and quad fire 295x2's? or just got some ssd's or something? What was your old setup then?

xDarkxIdealsx

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

That is a nice setup. I'm kind of considering getting an R9 295x2 as well, but i'm a little worried about the power consumption and whatnot. And i'm planning on customizing the swiftech H240X liquid cpu cooler into a full water loop, so i would have to take apart that asetek radiator setup and get a 295x2 EK waterblock for it. I saw some pictures of the GTX980 Hydro Copper, and i gotta say that thing looks badass to no end. It has two different spots where the EVGA logo lights up due to LED's and also has led's going around the entire middle of the block so between the backplate and bottom there's one long stream of bluish white light coming out. Very nice stuff for sure, i wonder what kind of fps differences i would get going from gigabyate 970 to the 980 hydro or 980 classified or 295x2. i don't see any benchmarks that compare the 295x2 to the 980 classy or hydro copper since there's barely any info on those two 980's at all. I'm also wondering how 2 SLI 970's stack up to that.

xDarkxIdealsx

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

You should take some pics of your rig, i''d love to see it. Your sig says you have an ASUS 295x2, is that the ARES III? and you have two of them? *droolz....*

I'm re-organizing my build setup as well. Gonna get a Corsair 900D in a few days if i can get a loan before my check comes in that is. i'm either gonna stick to the z97 formula, 4790k etc.. or go for X99/DDR4 with either a rampage extreme or X99 pro mobo and 5820K cpu, but i dropped the swiftech all in one, and i'm going for full custom water loop. gonna put a 480mm radiator in the "basement" compartment below the actual pc area where the PSU goes, and then another 480 rad in the top, then i'm gonna get either a GTX980 hydro copper to run through my waterloop or a sapphire 295x2 and put it in an EK block. Thinking of doing Mayhems white for my colored coolant, especially if i go with the white colored X99 mobo.

I still wonder if it'd be better to go all out with Rampage V extreme X99, DDR4, 6 core 5820k etc.. or to stick to Formula VII z97, DDR3, 4790K and use the money i save to get a 500gb SSD or save up towards a 2nd GTX980 hydro copper for SLI.

xDarkxIdealsx

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

The ARES III is the asus limited edition R9 295x2, it comes with a custom waterblock already on it that has a red LED cut out that lights up saying ARES on it. it's like $1,500. i didn't think ASUS made a regular R9 295x2 though, which is why i thought you had the ARES one. They only made 500 of them in the world, wish i could get my hands on one lol. But the EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper has the exact same thing, an LED lit special waterblock, so it's cool :D

Yeah i'm actually thinking of going X79 now, it has some of the same benefits of X99 like much better mobo's, 6 core cpu's etc.. and the RAM is much cheaper with 16gb corsair platinum being $250 instead of $400 which will let me get either a corsair AX860 or EVGA G2 1000w psu with the extra cash, seems like i can't find white custom cables for the evga one though so i'll have to go with the 860 for now i guess since i'm doing a black and white theme build; which is why i'm going X79, gonna get the ASUS Rampage IV black edition instead of the Rampage V extreme X99 since they seem to be "fairly" similar in performance, and the black edition looks cooler and comes with a free game, not to mentione the cheaper RAM of course.

And i can also get the I7 4820K 4 core cpu for $320 instead of the 6 core 5820k for $399. I know it's a downgrade, but it'll help me afford the PSU, and it keeps cooler temps than 4770/4790 even though it's a tad worse than those, so when i water cool and OC to 4.8ghz or something i'll prolly outdo the 4790k (never heard of a 4790k hitting 4.7ghz+ have you?). Not to mention the 4820K has 40 pci lanes unlike the 4770/4790 or even the 5820k!!

So once overclocked and watercooled i'll have a cpu that's as good as an OC'd 4790K @ 4.7ghz ish, but with much lower temps, and that beautiful Rampage IV black mobo, and i can always snag a 4930k or 4960x on sale used later when i get more money since i'm already coughing up $3k on this pc -___-

My full build is

ASUS Rampage IV black edition mobo $459
I7 4820K cpu $320
Corsair 900D Super tower case $350
16gb (4x4) Corsair dominator platinum DDR3 2400mhz RAM $250
EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper 1,393mhz gpu $800
Corsair AX860w or EVGA G2 1000w PSU $149 or $169
Custom cabling ~$80
EK coolstream XT 480mm Radiators x2 (no cost)
XSPC 250mm Cylinder reservoir/pump combo $160
8 x Corsair SP120 White LED fans - $80
~10 3/8" x 1/2" Compression fittings $70
Swiftech Apogee XL cpu waterblock with custom ROG logo (fits my mobo) $85
3/8" x 1/2" PrimoChill LRT Advanced Tubing $25
Mayhem's Pastel Ice White Dyed Coolant x 2 bottles = $40

TOTAL - $2,910 + TAX (so about $3,000) it'll be worth it, this job i'm working is hell though lol

-Lone-

Admirable
Lol, I suppose you could do that, but I've never went down before, only up, so I wouldn't know how they're work. I've get the Evga PSU since they're cheaper for more power. I switched my Corsair AX1500i for a Evga Supernova 1600w P2 and it works perfectly for less money. My AX1500i was actually defective. But I don't know how this build will work with 4k, never tried something like this :)