[SOLVED] Looking for hardware KVM switch to handle new and legacy ports, connections

David_652

Honorable
Mar 14, 2017
I have three PCs, an HP Omen, an Acer Predator, and another HP. The monitor port is HDMI on the monitor I use. The keyboard is USB, and the mouse is wireless USB. These are compatible with the HP Omen. The other PCs are 15-pin and PS2. I need a hardware KVM switch that will handle all those connection types on the PC side including PS2, USB/USB wireless, HDMI, and 15-pin monitor connection. It needs to handle HDMI and USB/USB wireless on the KVM side.

I am eager to hear your suggestions.

kanewolf

Titan
I have three PCs, an HP Omen, an Acer Predator, and another HP. The monitor port is HDMI on the monitor I use. The keyboard is USB, and the mouse is wireless USB. These are compatible with the HP Omen. The other PCs are 15-pin and PS2. I need a hardware KVM switch that will handle all those connection types on the PC side including PS2, USB/USB wireless, HDMI, and 15-pin monitor connection. It needs to handle HDMI and USB/USB wireless on the KVM side.

You won't find what you want. All KVMs I have ever seen expect a consistent set of inputs. PS2 can be adapted to USB easily. But the VGA vs HDMI there is no easy option. VGA is a dead interface type. You could convert the HDMI to VGA, but most of the adapters are flaky at best.

kanewolf

Titan

You won't find what you want. All KVMs I have ever seen expect a consistent set of inputs. PS2 can be adapted to USB easily. But the VGA vs HDMI there is no easy option. VGA is a dead interface type. You could convert the HDMI to VGA, but most of the adapters are flaky at best.

kanewolf

Titan
So my best bet would be wait until I have three PCs that are all the same ports/connectors.
I can think of one possible scenario. Use a KVM for just the USB switching with VGA. Then a monitor that has VGA and HDMI ports. Connect the HDMI to monitor and the VGA KVM to the other port switch between the video with the monitor and the keyboard with the KVM.

BFG-9000

Distinguished
I just wanted to say that I am using the same VGA KVM I've used for 20 years. Only I've never used the VGA part of it.

Even back when I had VGA CRTs, the loss of image quality was great enough at 1600x1200 that I always used the KVM only to switch keyboard and mouse. The monitors have always had multiple inputs and a button to toggle between them.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS