Crucifythew1ck

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
Specs:
Operating System
Windows 10

CPU
Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.00GHz
Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX Extreme Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm (CW-9060021-WW)

RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

Motherboard
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK S ATX Motherboard

Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4992-KR 6GB SC GAMING, Whisper Silent Cooling Graphics Card

Power Supply
CORSAIR CS-M Series CS750M 750W 80 PLUS GOLD Active PFC Haswell Ready ATX12V & EPS12V Modular Power Supply

Storage
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM)
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM)
WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX

Displays
Acer XB270HU bprz 27-inch WQHD NVIDIA G-SYNC (2560 x 1440) Widescreen Monitor
Acer H6 H276HLbmid Black 27" 5ms HDMI IPS panel Widescreen LED Backlight Monitor 250 cd/m2 1,000:1 (1920 x 1080)

HI, my PC just randomly freezes or locks up and it doesn't matter if i'm gaming or just browsing the web. I'll be having multiple tabs open doing whatever then all of a sudden, say i wanna open a new tab or whatever it may be and the loading icon in the tab just keeps spinning and nothing will load and that's when i notice the comp freezes and i cant do anything. Ctrl alt delete doesn't work, nothing works, but i CAN still move my mouse i just cant click on anything b/c nothing happens. Then after about a minute or so it will just come back like nothing happens and loads my pages or resumes my games or whatever I may doing at the time. It just freezes whatever is on the screen at the time, doesn't blue screen, doesn't turn black, doesn't do any other color but what was on the screen at the time of freezing. It's frustrating b/c it never used to do this and i feel like I've got a pretty decent setup for this to keep happening.

I've also noticed that when i was playing witcher 3 recently, sometimes when i would f5 to quick save (not every time i f5 tho) that's mainly when it would happen a few times within playing that game. I would hit f5 then the characters and the screen freeze, i try to alt tab, i cant do that, ctrl alt delete, i cant do that, i would just have to wait for it to come back and continue playing.

So, if there is anyone that could point me in the right direction on how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated seeing as im not THAT good with PC's.

Thanks!

Try take the gxt980ti out, use intel iGPU and use the PC for browsing the web, what happens? If the PC does not lock up/freeze, the problem will relate to the PSU/GPU/GPU driver.

And try use the DDU uninstall the GPU driver in safe mode, reinstall the driver. And test the pc. Also test the GPU in other PC ( or in your PC) to see it works fine or not.
DDU http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Other question will be do you dual boot with other OS? because you had two SSDs.

Crucifythew1ck

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
Actually i cant take out my 980ti and use the intel graphics because my mobo doesnt have any dvi or monitor ports, its all from my ti. Using display port and dvi for my dual monitor setup. i think im gonna try to install my old graphics card and try that.

Yes, the MB has only 1X display port and 1X HDMI. And try other GPU, also go into the BIOS, maybe hwmonitor section to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V voltages, or by the multimeter, if your PC runs fine with other GPU, because like I said before, the problem may relate to GPU or PSU.
For the PSU voltages, you want to see the voltages are within +/-5%. https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-tolerances-2624583

Solution