Discussion Looking for help deciding between laptops

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
So, my mum is Looking for a laptop to take a few classes on & do normal browsing (Facebook, IG,YouTube, Ect)

These are ones I found that I was going to recommend to her but first I wanted to get some thoughts from people who know more about laptops. She was going to get one with 64GB of memory which isn’t enough in my opinion. The ones I’m going to link have 128 which I think is enough for what she’s going to be doing. I’ll probably grab a nice size flash drive as well.

sadly she won’t let me just build her a home computer lol.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...p401ma-dh02t-14-2-in-1-laptop-computer---grey

https://www.microcenter.com/product...e;_Intel_UHD_Graphics_600;_Micros?storeID=141

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-14-....p?skuId=6415804&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=570

Thanks for the help !

serioussamik17

Distinguished
The Intel Pentium powered laptop (3rd one, from BB) has a quad-core CPU while the both celeron laptops have dual-core ones. Also the Celeron laptops come with Intel UHD 600 graphics which is slightly slower than the UHD 605 graphics that is housed by the Pentium laptop. These aside, not much else that set these devices apart.

The Asus Vivobook's flip functionality while cool, I dont think it is worth spending 30 USD for it (which otherwise has the same configuration as the E410MA at $249.99). So I think best to get the Pentium powered one for a little bit of future proofing due to the stronger the CPU and GPU it sports.

Reactions: krsensei21

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
The Intel Pentium powered laptop (3rd one, from BB) has a quad-core CPU while the both celeron laptops have dual-core ones. Also the Celeron laptops come with Intel UHD 600 graphics which is slightly slower than the UHD 605 graphics that is housed by the Pentium laptop. These aside, not much else that set these devices apart.

The Asus Vivobook's flip functionality while cool, I dont think it is worth spending 30 USD for it (which otherwise has the same configuration as the E410MA at $249.99). So I think best to get the Pentium powered one for a little bit of future proofing due to the stronger the CPU and GPU it sports.
Great! Thanks, that makes it very easy to choose now. Appreciate the feedback

edit- actually the 3rd one is a dual core amd . The Best Buy link must be busted lol.

serioussamik17

Distinguished
Great! Thanks, that makes it very easy to choose now. Appreciate the feedback

edit- actually the 3rd one is a dual core amd . The Best Buy link must be busted lol.
Yep . Just saw it. It is an AMD Silver 3050 U CPU with Vega RX 2 GPU.
Here's a comparison that nicely sums up the difference.

The AMD one is faster and more power efficient. Importantly I see a headroom for RAM upgrade in the AMD laptop, with the CPU having higher base frequency. So at $329, I see a good value for money here (at some cases, AMD laptop is 50% faster)