[SOLVED] Looking for help diagnosing if my Mobo is my issue/what to do

Hawaiiotaku

Honorable
Dec 29, 2015
Hi everyone,
First I'd like to preface by saying that I have done a look of looking, trying , and asking on public discord before I made this post. To summarize the issue I'm currently having, my PC is not going to post it is not giving any beep feedbacks, and the motherboard QLED lights are not turning on to give any errors.

So I'm doing a new build, meaning a new tower, cpu, mobo, and psu. Originally when I said it all up I set it up with one stick of RAM, and my PC successfully posted. The motherboard is an asus strix b550, and cpu ryzen 5 5600, and corsair cx750f. From there I turned it off installed the rest of the ram and reseated the graphics card properly, and seal it up only to find out that when I did turn it on you did not hit post at all anymore. Meaning before I did those changes I got to the America megatrends press F1 for set up screen.

After I got that error I turned it off and set it back up to the previous configuration I had. Only to find I had the same issue if not reaching post. Eventually I took it out and strip it down to the bare minimum of just the power cables one ram and the graphics card I tried turning it on again. No post, no beats, just all the fans and RAM and everything turning on and lighting up. At this point I won't hit post I tried resetting the simos and doing whatever I could on quick Google searches. As well as going to forums and discords and looking around to see if I could find any answers. But I could not.

At the moment, I know that it's not the graphics card and RAM that are the issues. As they both work on the previous pc. This only leaves three points in which could be the point of failure, which is the CPU the motherboard and the PSU. Personally I'd like to rule out the power supply unit, as it is new but I'm not going to say for certain that it isn't the issue. I believe I can rule out the CPU being the issue as it did reach post originally before so it's not a dead cpu. This leaves me to believe that it is the motherboard, and what further compounds this theory is that I cannot turn off the PC with the power button yet I can turn it on.

If anybody knows about what's going on or has any suggestions or ideas as to why I wouldn't be able to hit post I would love to hear it. Any feedback would help, I'm hoping my diagnosis is right... And my greatest fear would be my new CPU being dead or that I killed it already. Thank you for at least taking the time to read this even if you don't respond.

Solution
Since you originally got a post with the cpu/mobo/single ram/psu, I would say that all of your components are likely ok.

Take all of the parts out of the case and work from that.
It eliminates such issues as case shorts.
Start with one stick in the requested slot for only one stick.
You start the motherboard by momentarily shorting the two front panel PWR pins with a flat bladed screwdriver.
If you do this with any regularity, buy a simple switch like this:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168121..._switch-_-12-119-009-_-Product&quicklink=true
Ryzen is picky about ram compatibility.
I can not tell if your ram kit is explicitly supported on either the asus site, or the g.skil site.
Likely it...
What's the RAM model #?
RAM could work on a system but it might not work in another.

Power off the PC, switch off the PSU, unplug the power cord, remove the CMOS battery and press the power button to discharge capacitors.
Just leave the CPU, GPU and one RAM stick on slot B2 (2nd slot from the CPU).
Place the CMOS battery back, plug the power cord, switch PSU on and power on your PC.
Do you see any signs of life (it could take up to 3 minutes for the BIOS to initialize on a new system or when there is a RAM swap), such as fan spinning, lights, etc...

Hawaiiotaku

Honorable
Dec 29, 2015
Hi there, thank you for taking your time to respond.

I did ensure the qvls were compatible. The ram I am using is
F4-3000C16Q-32GTZR
Or rgb gskill tridents
And mobo ASUS rog B550-F

I have currently tried this the CMOS trick. Both doing the jumper method the CMOS battery method and letting it drain for about 15 minutes.

I will however try it again when I get home in about an hour and a half, I'm also going to try reseating my CPU and seeing if that helps. Unfortunately though I have tried both these options at least once before, so I am reluctant to put Faith in them

None the less I do appreciate you taking time to help

Edit. I neglected to mention that I'm not getting to post, so I don't think I'd be able to get to bios at all.

When I do turn it on, all the fans and everything run properly including the GPU as well as the ram rgbs, but I wouldn't take that as conclusive evidence that it works.

Hi there, thank you for taking your time to respond.

I did ensure the qvls were compatible. The ram I am using is
F4-3000C16Q-32GTZR
Or rgb gskill tridents
And mobo ASUS rog B550-F

I check the (QVL) for ASUS ROG B550-F and Ryzen 5000 series CPU and I do not see that RAM model listed on any of the 4 pages.
There are similar models, but I do not see the F4-3000C16Q-32GTZR listed.

Since you originally got a post with the cpu/mobo/single ram/psu, I would say that all of your components are likely ok.

You start the motherboard by momentarily shorting the two front panel PWR pins with a flat bladed screwdriver.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168121..._switch-_-12-119-009-_-Product&quicklink=true
I can not tell if your ram kit is explicitly supported on either the asus site, or the g.skil site.
Likely it is ok, but you might want to contact g.skil support to as the question.
Sometimes one stick works fine, but 4 do not.
It is harder to match 4 sticks vs. two and the motherboard must manage all 4 sticks with the same speed voltage and timings.

Can you tell what the motherboard bios level is?
The most current level is 2201.
Many bios updates involve stability and ram compatibility.

Double check how well the ram sticks are inserted.
It does take some force and a level push down.
Verify that all of the power connections are secure.

Solution

Hawaiiotaku

Honorable
Dec 29, 2015

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812119009?Description=power switch&cm_re=power_switch--12-119-009--Product&quicklink=true
Likely it is ok, but you might want to contact g.skil support to as the question.
Sometimes one stick works fine, but 4 do not.
It is harder to match 4 sticks vs. two and the motherboard must manage all 4 sticks with the same speed voltage and timings.

Can you tell what the motherboard bios level is?
The most current level is 2201.
Many bios updates involve stability and ram compatibility.

Double check how well the ram sticks are inserted.
It does take some force and a level push down.
Verify that all of the power connections are secure.
I've never been able to update my BIOS as I've never gotten past post. I did try resetting the CMOS again, I'll try resetting the CPU and see if that has any effect.
And I believe I've been inserting the ram perfectly fine but it is a bit hard with how sharp the g skill one can be