Looking for help on a New Laptop

Citationx

Commendable
Sep 6, 2019
1. What is your budget? 2000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15-17"

3. What screen resolution do you want? HD or 4k (I don't Mind the smaller print on a 4K screen)

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable, but I can do with a little bit of weight.

5. How much battery life do you need? 2+ hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? no Games

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) I need to be able to have 3 external displays going with CAD, Excel, Bluebeam, Email, etc

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 512 GB SSD

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Open minded

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 2-3 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Don't need a CD Rom

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Open minded

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Get the LG Gram 17.

Although it's 17 inch, it weighs about the same as the Apple MacBook Air 13 2017 but it might not let you connect 3 external displays at the same time.

So, in that case, Dell XPS 15 and HP spectre 15 could be great options.

Using 1 HDMI and 2 Thunderbolt-3's, you should be able to connect them with up to 3 monitors without any problem.

Citationx

Commendable
Sep 6, 2019
I can live with 2 external displays. Should I be looking at a business laptop or a gaming laptop for what I need?

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Business laptops are generally portable, very well built and have additional security features. but they tend to be expensive and are not suited for everyone.

If you really need, may be take a look at the latest Lenovo Thinkpad x1 carbon.

It's probably the best business laptop one could buy.

Since you don't play games you definitely don't need a gaming laptop.

Citationx

Commendable
Sep 6, 2019
Lenovo ended up having a 45% off sale tonight so I jumped on the Thinkpad X1 Extreme.

Here are the specs

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-9850H with vPro (2.60GHz, up to 4.60GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 Cores, 12MB Cache)
● Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64
● Display Type: 15.6” UHD (3840 x 2160) 500 nits, IPS, anti-glare, Dolby Vision HDR 400
● Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 16GB)
● Hard Drive: 1TB Solid State Drive M.2 PCIe-NVME
● Warranty: 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
● Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 Max-Q 4GB
● Camera: IR & 720p HD Camera with microphone
● Fingerprint Reader: Fingerprint Reader