Looking for help on my son's build

Tim Humphreys

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
I am building a budget gaming PC for my son and wanted to ask the experts. I know the RAM is slow but it was a great deal to get his foot in the door. Not positive yet in the GPU as im looking for Black Friday sales to grab that, but what do you think of this to get him going?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jfsDLk

Solution
No point in getting a Skylake CPU and going with DDR3L. If you're going Skylake get the DDR4 RAM, otherwise you might as well stick with Haswell.

Did you have a case already I don't see one on your list?

I know your trying to stay on a budget but I really recommend getting a least a small SSD 60 or 120 for just the OS. Your son will greatly appreciate the speed up that provides over just that HDD. You can get a Samsung EVO 120GB for $67 bucks on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E1T0B-AM/dp/B00OBRFFAS/ref=sr_1_5_m?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1446829994&sr=1-5&keywords=samsung+ssd

Hawkshot

Admirable
Firstly the CPU you picked is a Skylake processor allowing for DDR4 motherboard and RAM so I would suggest you look into getting some, also the power supply you have picked is low quality and could cause problems down the line, look at getting the EVGA 550W G2 maybe a little bit more expensive but its the highest tier PSU you can get your hands on and will last 5 years+ Easily! apart from that its a decent build for 1080p gaming.

Quick warning on DDR3 skylake systems. DDR3 IS NOT SUPPORTED!! Only DDR3L models are. I suggest you go to a DDR4 mobo and DDR4 RAM anyways since that is the latest and greatest.

GPU wise you will see awesome deals on black friday, on halloween I saw a top of the line 4GB FTW+ GTX 960 for only $179 on newegg. I suggest you buy one of those on black friday.

As for PSU, defiantly get something better even if you have to spend $70 or more on the PSU, it's worth it trust me. Look at Tom's Hardware's PSU list for more info (I suggest tier 2).

No point in getting a Skylake CPU and going with DDR3L. If you're going Skylake get the DDR4 RAM, otherwise you might as well stick with Haswell.

I know your trying to stay on a budget but I really recommend getting a least a small SSD 60 or 120 for just the OS. Your son will greatly appreciate the speed up that provides over just that HDD. You can get a Samsung EVO 120GB for $67 bucks on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E1T0B-AM/dp/B00OBRFFAS/ref=sr_1_5_m?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1446829994&sr=1-5&keywords=samsung+ssd

Solution

Francisco Costa

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($120.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI B150 Gaming M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($172.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair SPEC-03 White ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $565.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-06 12:30 EST-0500

lodders

Admirable
Looks like you are on a tight budget, so look into a Haswell build instead with a i3 4330 and an H81 motherboard - better value for money.
Or, if you want a PC which will be good for years, build one like mine....

Tim Humphreys

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
He is so set on having massive amounts of space to play mutiple games at once i havnt been able to sell him on the SSD. And the RAM is already purchased so Im gonna have to go ahead and step down to Haswell. Saw the great price on the I3 Skylake so i though I would make the jump.

I know your trying to stay on a budget but I really recommend getting a least a small SSD 60 or 120 for just the OS. Your son will greatly appreciate the speed up that provides over just that HDD. You can get a Samsung EVO 120GB for $67 bucks on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E1T0B-AM/dp/B00OBRFFAS/ref=sr_1_5_m?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1446829994&sr=1-5&keywords=samsung+ssd[/quotemsg]

[/quotemsg]

Well when he starts moaning about Windows and other programs being slow to load up tell him he'll have to save his own money to get the SSD you would have gotten him.