Looking for Help - Upload speed is terrible on Gaming PC's

Jan 5, 2019
After a troubleshooting so many things with my ISP, it turns out that the house is getting all the speed it should be 350 down 30 up. All my devices are getting those speeds also including phones and laptops etc. Only thing is my hard wired desktops (gaming pc and streaming pc) are not getting those uploads. Uploads show up at like 16 but they act more like 5 or so because I can't stream smooth even with an upload of like 3k.

ISP Trouble shooted my cables, home cables, router, and modem and everything is fine and pushes out desired speeds. But only when I do tests on both PC's does it slow down. Now My next thought was maybe a Firewall or my AV program or something. Because they are both windows 10 and also using Avast. But after disabling both and trying speed test still nothing. Everything is up to date as well. Also tried disabling all applications and starting speed test, still same thing. Did safe mode, still same speed test. I'm not sure what to do. I would think, maybe it's network port gone bad, but it's on both my pcs and it happened around same time. (computers used to handle stream and uploads just fine.) Any other Ideas for me to try would be greatly appreciated!

Just so I understand ... it is all the wired devices and it is only the wired devices that get the lower upload speed on speed tests. Correct? This sounds more like something with the router. Many routers from ISPs (especially ones that also provide services like TV and telephone) have a feature called QoS. QoS tries to ensure that all devices get a reasonable amount of bandwidth (speed) by making sure no one device takes it all for themselves. Some implementations are pretty good ... some are not. One set of QoS protocols ensure that wireless devices get priority over wired devices. It sounds like that might be happening to you. The protocol is often referred to as WMM (Wireless Multimedia). Look in your router settings for this or other QoS related settings and either give your wired devices more priority or turn those protocols off.

If you give us you router model number, we can see if we can find any more information.

Jan 5, 2019

Thank you for your response, as I'm really trying to fix this. It's not the router tho. When the ISP Tech Supervisor showed up we troubleshooted that. We ran a speed test from his device through the modem, to rule that out, then the router to do the same. And all the speeds were fine. We used the cable that goes to my PC to also try and rule out the ethernet Cable. All speeds were fine. I have 2 desktops, (gaming and streaming PCs) both are wired, but one has wireless capability, tried speed test while on wireless and still has the really low upload. It really seems like there's something that is on both computers that's dropping my upload speeds. I tried looking into programs that they both share and disabling things like AVirus and Firewalls, and other applications and still bad upload. I've changed network adapter settings, flushed Dns, Changed DnS to try and optimize. Changed some settings In windows 10 that I heard could slow it down. Nothing is working :(.

Ok ... some good information there.

Software wise ... antivirus programs can be an issue especially if they monitor network activity (most basic ones just look at file activity). They will usually be referred to a security suite or network security or something like that. I understand you have disabled your current AV ... did you have a different one in the past? I have seen incomplete uninstalls that interfere with your connection. The second big culprit is the "LAN Optimizers" (also called FastLan, TCP Optimizer, etc). I would uninstall any of these if they were installed.

Hardware wise, you're looking at some of the settings you have already tried. It's kinda weird that 2 computers would do the same thing at the same time, so I still wonder if something else changed. Firmware update on the router or something. As far as settings, I would look at MTU and LSO, but I'm guessing you already looked at those.
https://kb.netgear.com/19863/Ping-Test-to-determine-Optimal-MTU-Size-on-Router

Jan 5, 2019

So I didn't know about MTU but I looked into it and tested it and I'm currently optimized, so it's not that. Both on Router and on computer itself. I searched not too long ago and did another look for any program that could have access over Internet such as the things you were referring to with the TCP Optimizer or Lan Optimizers and I have nothing Like that. I came across that being a possibility in my searches and I searched for any program that I didn't know what it was to see if I had anything like that and I don't.

I did however have a different AV program on Mcafee and now I have Avast. I've searched computer for anything mcafee related through a file search and didn't see anything left with that name. Not sure if there's another way to check more thoroughly. The fact that both computers are acting up, is what gets me also and rules out some other things that I would think was the problem. Trying everything I can think of to fix this.

Do you happen to have an old hard drive around. A conclusive test of the issue would be to put a fresh install of Windows on that spare hard drive and retest (after unplugging your current hard drive ... would not want to mess up your data). If the issue goes away, then it is a software issue. If the issue remains, then it is more likely a hardware issue (could still be a setting, but nothing obvious). This is super easy now since MS lets you make your own windows disk/USB stick.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Jan 5, 2019

I could try that, have an old one laying around. I just doubt it's a hardrive issue since it happened to both pc's similar time.

Jan 5, 2019

So I decided to do a full system restore on my stream pc. And still the internet is still an issue. So not sure how to take that. Most likely can't be hardware, because it's an issue on both PC's still, what the chance they both have a hardware malfunction that causes the same issue. And the ISP guy checked cables and router/modem and all were fine. What setting could be diff that's making it mess up? No idea what's happening.

Did you try what Kerberos suggested. Copy a file from your game machine to the stream machine. It should a large file. Windows will report the speed at which it is transferred. The numbers will be in MBps (bytes per sec) rather than the Mbps (bits per sec) that are normally used for Internet speed.

Jan 5, 2019

No I didn't, didn't really understand what that would do in the process, but sure I can do that.

TRENDING THREADS