Looking for help with 3 monitor set up sapphire r7 265

Talmagal

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
I am having an issue enabling 3 monitors on without display port on amd display driver version 14.2 and up(including beta drivers). The way 14.2 and up detect dvi to hdmi adapters is the cause of the issue and i have not been able to find a way around this.(setup/example listed below).
The TLDR version need to know if there is anyway to set up the driver or card to force the same clock speed on two of the three legacy connections, or anyway to trick catalyst into accepting and using 3 hdmi connections, two of which are dvi to hdmi).
Also I have 0 issues running a 3 monitor(no DP) set up on display driver 14.1. and can run 4 monitors total as i have an active DP to vga cable. So dont suggest that in order to enable a third monitor it has to be DP. Amd lists for this card 3 through dvi/hdmi, 4 with dp, and 6 with dp mst hub.

For those that want more information and how i have this set up. on driver 14.1

Setup : Sapphire r7 265 comes with 2dvi, 1 hdmi, 1DP
3 HDTVs 1 32" philips tv(LCD), 2 19" Coby (Zoran)
Monitor Setup
HDMI -> HDMI : HDTV1(LCD)
DVI-i -> HDMI :HDTV 2(Zoran)
DIV-d -> HDMI : HDTV 3(Zoran)
In Catalyst:
Monitor 1: LCD TV, DTV HDMI
Monitor 2: ZORAN, DTV DVI
Monitor 3: ZORAN, DTV DVI
Adapters are third party dvi to hdmi passive adapter and 1 dvi to hdmi cable

Once I update to 14.2 or above two monitors stay on 1 turns off. I open catalyst and it lists this

Monitor 1: LCD TV, DTV HDMI
Monitor 2: ZORAN, DTV HDMI
Monitor 3: ZORAN, DTV DVI
It does this no matter which configuration i use to connect the monitors, Most that changes is the hdmi switches between the two zoran outputs at time.

I though i might need the special dvi -> hdmi adapters from amd, which enables audio over dvi but that gave the same results and broke the setup on driver version 14.1 as well
(ATI hd 4000 series dvi to hdmi adapter part number: 61400635006)

After googling for a bit i stumbled across an article which explains why i'm having trouble getting this working but cant find a way to adjust the setting. link

To keep a long explanation short when on 14.1 the monitors are detected as both dvi allowing them to share the same clock timing on the card while the hdmi uses the other clock timing.

200Output.png

Once i update to any driver version above that or use the hd4000 adapters the card/ catalyst only detects one of the connections as hdmi and forces the other to be seen as dvi enabling the normal clock timing rules.

7000Output.png

If anybody has any idea of a work around or solution to manually force the two dvi output to use the same clock or have catalyst detect both zoran monitors as both hdmi or dvi so they are able to share the same clock. That would be really helpful. If any more information is needed dont be shy to ask.

picture of set up on 14.1
catalyst_set_up_on_driver_14_1.png

Talmagal

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
tried the driver already anything above 14.1 graphics driver (from 14.4 release) breaks the configuration.

14.11.2 has graphics drive 14.3.xxx version in it. I just cant get it to force 3 hdmi connections form the 3 legacy connections

are you sure your gpu supports it

Talmagal

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014

It should. according to amd website can run 3 monitors without the use of DP. Which i can get running on an older driver version..
I'm not sure if i will be able to run 3 hdmi(with audio connections) off the one card but i do know can run 3 as long as two of the monitors are the same timing for the clock sharing.

As i have stated im running 3 monitors of the same card. the two dvi monitors are detected as dvi connections and can be used together. the other hdmi connection runs using the other clk

i dont think thee is a proper workaround....

uninstall the amd driver
download DDU and run it.. clean the AMD driver leftovers... restart system and reinstall the 14.11.2

if it still doesnt work then i suggest you stick to 14.i untill the next driver comes

Talmagal

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014

cant run DDU. it breaks windows 8.1 since it tries to remove .net stuff which is built into the os.

I have removed all versions of the amd grpahics driver/catalyst/install manager/ etc.
i got to the point that windows 8.1 defaults to hd7800 drivers.(which i never installed)
Which is funny as its how i was able to figure out running 3 monitors 1 differnet 2 same was possible.. it default enabled.the 3 monitors.

guess im stuck on 14.1 for the mean time. wish amd would release a better way to control the clk settings.and/or the way connections are used/seen/forced.
Auto-detect is not always the greatest. since it auto detects and selects my hdmi 32" and one of the 19" tvs. if i could run the 2 19"tv as hdmi and 32 as dvi that wouldnt be bad, but the only way to enable that is by hot swapping in the 32" after ive booted into windows and clock sharing only works from boot up.

Might as well hold my breathe for that since they technically dont have a true custom resolution app. they just allow you to add certain pre-fab resolutions

i suggest you to consult a customer service.. they might know a workaround